As an Aboriginal family practitioner, you will have the opportunity to engage with and foster the strengthening of Aboriginal families and ensure the safety and wellbeing of vulnerable Aboriginal children and young people.
There a number of permanent and temporary Aboriginal family practitioner roles available throughout metropolitan and regional South Australia.
Aboriginal family practitioner – Families SA offices, hubs, services and call centre
The Aboriginal family practitioner is responsible for:
- case management and co-working on child protection assessments involving Aboriginal families
- making and supporting referrals for culturally appropriate interventions that foster strengthening of families and the safety and wellbeing of Aboriginal children and young people
- developing and maintaining effective working relationships with the Aboriginal community and other key stakeholders in order to achieve quality outcomes for Aboriginal families and their children.
Aboriginal family practitioner – kinship care
The Families SA kinship care program provides a service to relatives and kin who are caring for a child that has been separated from their parents because of care and protection concerns.
The kinship care program works with kinship families to help identify, stabilise and strengthen kinship care arrangements for the child or young person.
The Aboriginal family practitioner within kinship care is responsible for:
- supporting, training and educating kinship carers in practical day-to-day care
- monitoring and supporting kinship care placements
- developing and maintaining effective working relationships with the Aboriginal community and other key stakeholders in order to achieve quality outcomes for Aboriginal families and their children
- facilitating links with the community and other professionals including social workers.
AHP1: $58,555 to $71,864 per annum.
Salary rate does not include superannuation.
The Aboriginal family practitioner role description (PDF 200KB) and the Aboriginal family practitioner kinship care role description (PDF 199KB) outline the role responsibilities, special conditions and competencies required.
Department for Child Protection Recruitment
Phone: 8226 2959
Email: DECDFamiliesSARecruitment [at] sa.gov.au