Go to top of page

Become an approved service provider or registered care provider

Approved service providers

The Education and Care Services National Law and the Education and Care Services National Regulations set out the requirements for operating an education and care service. This includes:

  • outlining approved provider responsibilities
  • registering approved education and care services
  • establishing and operating new centre-based services and/or family day care services.

Regulatory authorities

Each state and territory has its own regulatory authority that is responsible for approving education and care providers and services.

The regulatory authority in South Australia is the Education Standards Board (ESB). Their role is to:

  • regulate education and care services in South Australia
  • ensure quality education services
  • maintain high standards of competence and conduct by providers
  • ensure the National Quality Framework is implemented by each education and care service

How to apply

Information and applications to become an approved service provider can be found on the ACECQA website.

Approved service provider applications are assessed by the Education Standards Board (ESB)

Registered care providers

Registered childcare is childcare provided by grandparents or other relatives, friends or nannies who are registered with the Australian Government Department of Human Services as registered care providers.

Only an individual can be registered, not a service.

All registered care providers must comply with relevant state or territory childcare laws and regulations.

Families who satisfy eligibility requirements for the Child Care Benefit may receive payments if they use a registered care provider.

How to apply

Information and applications to become a registered care provider can be found on the Department of Human Services website.

Childcare fee assistance

To be able to administer childcare fee assistance on behalf of families your new service will need to apply to the Australian Government Department of Social Services to become an approved child care service.

The childcare fee assistance available is typically:

  • child care benefit (CCB)
  • child care rebate (CCR).

The CCB and CCR assist families who attend work, study or training with the cost of childcare.

See the Department of Social Services website for more information. 

Quality Reform Team

Phone: 8207 2457
Email: education.NQFEnquiries [at] sa.gov.au