On this page
The department’s corporate office organisational structure is designed to ensure effective alignment of functions and operations. The structure promotes clear lines of reporting and accountability within and between the organisational groups, to support appropriate, open and transparent communication and decision making.
Boards, committees or working groups can be set up by the Chief Executive to give direction and advice to the Chief Executive or Senior Executive Group (PDF 351KB).
Key considerations when establishing a governing body, working group or committee include clear terms of reference or a charter that articulates the:
- purpose and role of the governing body or committee and ensure alignment with the organisation’s purpose (if a statutory role, ensure compliance with the enabling legislation)
- requirement to apply the principles of good governance articulated in the governance framework (for example role-modelling organisational values, transparency, clear outcome measures, and risk management)
- statement of membership composition
- responsibilities of the members and their accountabilities
- reporting arrangements, including time frames for reporting and a list of agreed objectives against which performance can be measured
- sunset or review date.
Other key governance considerations for setting up a governing body, working group or committee are outlined in the department’s governance framework.
The management and educational leadership of a school, preschool or children’s services centre is the joint responsibility of the relevant governing council and the principal or preschool director and employees.
The Education and Children’s Services Act 2019 prescribes the functions, roles, powers and operational rules of these governing councils.
A range of corporate governance structures exists across the department to make sure decisions are based on good evidence, and to make sure the way the organisation is set up is the best way to achieve our objectives.
Planning and Implementation Reporting unit, System Improvement division
Phone: 8226 1540
Email: education.PIR [at] sa.gov.au