Hundreds of Festival of Music students and their teachers will temporarily step back from their holidays to pay their respects and sing songs of Remembrance in a series of RSL choir performances to commemorate the ANZAC Centenary on Saturday.
Festival of Music Support Service Production Manager, Anne O’Dea, said the inaugural event would take place at 26 RSL clubs spanning from Port Lincoln to Mount Gambier.
“On Saturday, thirty-five primary school choirs will pay tribute to the astounding sacrifices made by our brave war veterans by performing a collection of commemorative songs at local ANZAC Day services across the state,” Ms O’Dea said.
“Students will sing from this year’s special Festival of Music song book which includes old and new favourites such as Eric Bogle’s The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and John Schumann’s Anzac Biscuits – which is based on the popular children’s book by Phil Cummings.
“Although the event might be a one-off, it is bound to be an educational and memorable experience that students and families can look back on for years to come.”
Ms O’Dea said by creating connections to the ANZAC story through music, students would have the opportunity to engage with and learn about what is a highly significant yet emotionally complex subject matter.
“ANZAC Day is one of the most important events in the Australian calendar and it is important that children have the opportunity to engage with it in a way that they can understand,” Ms O’Dea said.
“While the initiative might be small in the broad scale of the day, we are pleased that through music we can play our part in acknowledging this historic milestone.”
As well as the local RSL performances, the Festival of Music will also be providing their showcase choir at the Dawn Service at the Adelaide War Memorial on North Terrace and later in the day, facilitating a Flash Mob in Rundle Mall as part of the Port Adelaide Football Club’s pre-march entertainment.
For more information on the Festival of Music visit: www.festivalofmusic.org.au.
- Adelaide - South Australian Public Primary School’s Music Society Choir
- Auburn/Clare - Watervale Primary School
- Balaklava - Balaklava Primary School
- Barmera - Kingston-on-Murray Primary School
- Blackwood - Flagstaff Hill R-7 School, Craigburn Primary School
- Glynde - Paradise Primary School
- Henley and Grange - Grange Primary School
- Jamestown - Jamestown Primary School
- Kadina - Kadina Memorial School
- Lameroo - Lameroo Regional Community School
- Magill - Stradbroke School
- Maitland and Ardrossan - Maitland Public School, Ardrossan Area School
- Mannum and Mypolonga - Mannum Community College, Mypolonga Primary School Marion Darlington Primary School, Marion Primary School, Hallett Cove South Primary School, Hallett Cove School
- Mt Gambier - Glenburnie Primary School, McDonald Park School
- Mundulla - Mundulla Primary School
- Norwood - Marryatville Primary School, Rose Park Primary School
- Port Lincoln - Port Lincoln Primary School
- Stirling - Bridgewater Primary School, Stirling East Primary School
- Tea Tree Gully - Keithcot Farm Primary School, St Agnes Primary School, Highbury Primary School, Golden Grove Primary School, Surrey Downs Primary School, Banksia Park Primary School
- Tintinara - Tintinara Area School
- Unley - Glen Osmond Primary School
- Uraidla - Uraidla Primary School
- Walkerville - Walkerville Primary School