Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) update
This week the Federal Government announced it will extend the travel ban on foreign nationals who have recently been in mainland China for a further week from 15 February 2020 to protect Australians from the risk of coronavirus.
Restrictions remain in place for people who have recently returned to Australia from mainland China, with the following advice current across all public schools and preschools:
In the following scenarios you cannot attend school or a childhood centre:
- If you have left, or transited through, mainland China - you must isolate yourself until 14 days after leaving China.
- If you have been in close contact with a confirmed case of novel coronavirus - you must isolate yourself for 14 days after last contact with the confirmed case.
In the following scenarios your child can attend school or an early childhood centre:
- Students and staff who have returned from mainland China and have isolated themselves for 14 days after leaving China.
- Students and staff who have only been to Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan.
The Department for Education has notified all schools of the current advice.
Information for parents and carers
The Department of Health Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for parents of school aged children has information and resources for parents and carers.
It has also issued the following advice in relation to preventing the spread of viruses:
- teach and encourage your children to wash their hands often with soap and water before and after eating as well as after going to the toilet
- avoid spreading infections to others by keeping children home if they are unwell
- teach children to cough and sneeze into their elbow.
If you have any questions about coronavirus disease, you are encouraged to contact the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.
Information for schools, preschools and early childhood services
The Department or Health Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for schools and early childhood centres has information and resources for schools, preschools and early childhood services.