On this page
During a transitional period from 2022 to 2024, parents of students in eligible schools are able to seek a ‘by exception’ exemption for their child to undertake year 7 in primary school.
This information outlines how to apply for an exemption for a year 6 student to remain in an eligible primary school for year 7.
You apply for exemption by discussing it with your child’s teacher and principal.
You are encouraged to start thinking about your child’s year 7 education early in year 6, as you will need your application approved by week 4, term 2.
Key dates for when exemptions must be finalised
- If your child is in year 7 in 2022, your application must be approved by Friday 21 May 2021.
- If your child is in year 7 in 2023, your application must be approved by Friday 27 May 2022.
- If your child is in year 7 in 2024, your application must be approved by Friday 26 May 2023.
Step 1 – confirm your child’s eligibility
- Confirm your child’s school is eligible by checking on the list of 45 primary schools. If your child’s school is not listed, you are not eligible to apply.
- Confirm that your child is entering year 7 in 2022, 2023 or 2024.
Step 2 – discuss with your child’s teacher and principal
- If you believe it will be better for your child to remain in the primary school setting for their year 7 education, you should discuss your reasons with your child’s teacher and principal.
- This discussion will explore your child’s individual circumstances and ideally you will reach an agreed position.
Step 3 – decision from principal
- During the transitional period 2022-2024, your child’s principal has the delegated authority to approve a student remaining in the primary school for year 7.
- If your application is approved, the school will finalise the exemption with the department.
- If your application is not approved, you are entitled to escalate the matter through the normal complaint process.
Year 7 to High School Project Team
Email: Year7toHS [at] sa.gov.au