Languages in schools initiative
We are committed to ensuring students across South Australia have the intercultural capabilities they need to succeed in the increasingly globalised world in which they live by reinvigorating the study of languages in South Australian schools through:
- enabling four additional public schools to offer the International Baccalaureate for high achieving students
- expanding options for SACE language study through enhanced Ethnic Schools and Open Access College programs and School of Languages intensive holiday courses
- expanding Languages Alive! holiday programs for primary students
- providing innovative Language Program Grants for primary schools
- improving professional development opportunities for language teachers
- providing scholarships for language teachers to improve their languages skills
- working with universities to review the demand for new language teachers and the language content of teaching degree courses.
Languages in schools projects
The department offers a range of opportunities to support and strengthen languages in education. These include scholarships, grants and holiday programs.
Scholarships for teachers and students fall within the strategies outlined in the South Australian government's languages in schools initiative to reinvigorate the study of languages. The teacher scholarships offers teachers 2 options; short courses within Australia and in-country immersions scholarships. The studens' scholarships offers grants to schools to organise study tours to provide in-country immersions to students. The scholarship programs for students and teachers run over 4 years. Round 2 will open on July 1, 2019.
Innovative language program grants
Innovative Language Program Grants (ILPGs) for primary schools is a strategy outlined in the state government's Languages in Schools initiative to reinvigorate the study of languages.
Grant recipient schools have commenced designing and implementing their innovative language programs in Term 1, 2019.
The School of Languages is continuing to expand their school holiday programs for students in 2019, offering language learning opportunities for primary school students and secondary school students.
Languages Alive! is a program of engaging and highly interactive languages and cultural experiences for R-7 students. Delivered by highly proficient speakers of the relevant language, the program will run during the April, July and October school holidays in metropolitan and country locations. A range of workshops will be held at each location, exploring languages such as Aboriginal Languages, Auslan, Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Spanish.
Let's talk! is an intensive and interactive language experience available to all South Australian students enrolled in a Stage 1 or Stage 2 continuers level language. Let's talk! will be delivered by highly proficient teachers over two days during the April and July school holidays each year for Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese and Spanish. The program's focus is on developing and extending oral proficiency in language.