These links will help families learn about bugs, slugs and creepy crawlies.
Structure and features
Use these links to learn songs, find out about weird bugs in Australia and learn how to build homes for bugs in the backyard.
Children might need help for some of these activities.
- Life of insects — Attenborough: Life in the undergrowth (BBC Earth) with David Attenborough
- ‘The ants go marching one by one’ (rhyming song)
- Sesame Street: Song: Little Butterfly Friend (with Elmo)
- How to build a bug hotel with Costa from Gardening Australia (Facebook)
- Worm farm! (build your own worm farm using materials found at home)
Families can explore this website to learn about weird Australian bugs — 10 weird insects found in Australia
These links provide quality information for children who are interested in bugs. It gives ideas for how children can create homes for some bugs in the garden.
- Learn about unusual Australian insects
- Habits of insects
- Practical building and making using scrap materials
- Counting, rhythm and rhyme in songs
- Develop problem solving skills
Learning Outcome 2: Children are connected with and contribute to their world
Learning Outcome 4: Children are confident and involved learners
Learning Outcome 5: Children are effective communicators