Go to top of page

OSHC approved provider - reporting critical incidents and injuries

This information outlines the process for OSHC services when reporting incidents that are notifiable to the:

Reporting incidents in government schools

  1. An incident or injury occurs.
  2. The OSHC director completes an injury incident trauma illness record that the parent signs.
  3. The record goes to the principal or site leader.
  4. The principal reports on the Incident Response Management System (IRMS) .
  5. The approved provider notifies the ESB through the National Quality Agenda IT System (NQAITS) public portal and attaches the notification on IRMS.

Steps 1 to 3 must occur within 12 hours for a serious incident. All of the above steps must occur within 24 hours for a serious incident or 7 days for a non-serious incident.

In addition, a copy of the incident form must be provided to the Australian Government Department of Education and Training by fax on 02 6123 6987 or via saccb [at] education.gov.au.

Vacation care

This information supports school governing council and third party providers providing vacation care on department sites. It explains notifiable critical incident and injury reporting under the National Quality Framework and department policy. It also includes information about reporting security incidents.

Critical incidents and injuries reporting

1. Complete the ACECQA incident, injury, trauma and illness record for all critical incidents and injuries, as specified on the OSHC notification requirement checklist.
2. Submit the completed record on the NQA IT System within the regulated timelines.
3. Complete the department's critical incident report and email it to education.incidentreportmanagementunit [at] sa.gov.au or fax 8463 6620 or phone 8463 6564.
4. Provide a copy of both the ACECQA incident record and the department’s critical incident report to the principal or their nominated representative. This information supports the school
to complete their reporting requirements on the Incident and Response Management System (IRMS).
5. Incidents and injuries that aren't notifiable under the NQF should be reported to the principal, according to established site procedures, and entered into IRMS. (ED155 forms are no longer current and don't need to be completed).

For more information, refer to:

Security incidents

In the case of vandalism or break-in to the school site, the OSHC provider should contact the Police Security Services Branch (PSSB) on 8116 9230.

For more information on incident reporting, contact the Early Childhood Policy and Strategy unit on 08 8226 6427 or email Education.oshc [at] sa.gov.au 

Complaints in government schools

When reporting complaints, follow the service grievance or complaints policy.

The OSHC director reports complaints to the principal and school or governing council.

The complainant can visit the feedback and complaints page if they wish to contact the Education Complaint unit. They can also contact the Board.

The school or governing council is responsible for making sure the service notifies the Board where relevant, using the complaint form available from the National Quality Agenda IT System (NQAITS) public portal.


Out of school hours care unit

Phone: 8226 6427
EmailEducation.oshc [at] sa.gov.au