Go to top of page

Paying the 457 and 482 visa student contribution fee in 2019

A student contribution fee applies for every child on a 457 or 482 visa attending a South Australian government school.

Calculating the fee

You can work out how much you will have to pay using our online calculator.

In 2019 the maximum fees will be:

  • $5,300 for each primary school student
  • $6,400 for each secondary school student

The student contribution fee is set annually and is based on the annual combined family income you will earn while working in Australia.

The department does not charge fees for children attending preschool; however individual preschools may charge their own fees.

Materials and service charge

A separate materials and service charge applies to all students enrolled in a government school in South Australia. This fee is set and collected individually by schools.


More than 1 child

The eldest child at school in a family is charged the full fee. All other children get a 10% discount on their fees.

Lower income

You do not have to pay the contribution fee if your combined gross family income is less than $60,000.

If your gross family income is between $60,000 and $80,000, you will get a partial discount if you have one child at a government school.  If your gross family income is over $80,000, you will have to pay full fees.

If you have more than 1 child attending a government school, the limit at which you pay full fees is increased by $15,000 for each additional child.

Our fee calculator is the easiest way to work out how much you will have to pay. 

Who pays the fee

The primary subclass 457 or 482 visa applicant accepts responsibility for paying the fee for all dependent children listed on the visa application who attend government schools in South Australia.

Employer payment

The primary applicant can nominate their employer to pay the student contribution fee on their behalf.

The employer payment can be attractive because education payments made for children of families on 457 or 482 visas may qualify for salary packaging benefits.

You should talk to your employer to find out if you can access this benefit.

How to pay

Once you have submitted an online registration you will be issued with a formal invoice. The student contribution fee can be paid up-front annually or in weekly, fortnightly, monthly or per term instalments via BPay,BPoint or direct debit.

BPay instalments are set up with your Australian bank. You can access BPoint from the Department for Education website. A direct debit facility is available from the department.

Payment details will be sent to you with the invoice.

If enrolling midway through the school year, you will only be charged for the number of school weeks remaining.

Waiving or reducing the student contribution fee

You can apply online to waive or reduce the 457 or 482 visa student contribution fees.

Decreasing income

If your income decreases, the primary applicant may apply for a fee waiver or reduction.

You must provide:

  • your 3 most recent pay slips
  • income reported on PAYG payment summary from all employment in the last 12 months
  • your 457 or 482 visa grant notice.

Family income below the threshold for maximum contributions

You can apply for a reduction in fees when your gross family income is below a certain threshold. The threshold varies depending on how many children you have attending government schools in South Australia.

Families with 1 child: $80,000

Families with 2 children: $95,000

Families with 3 children: $110,000

Families with 4 children: $125,000

You will need to provide evidence to the department to support your claim.

Financial hardship

If unforeseen changes to your financial circumstances impact on paying the fee, the primary applicant can apply for a fee waiver or reduction.

Unforeseen circumstances can include:

  • serious illness
  • unemployment
  • change of employment conditions
  • family breakdown
  • death
  • change in your financial circumstances.

Applications will be considered on a case by case basis. You will need to provide evidence to support your application.

If you are no longer eligible to pay the fee

You may no longer be eligible to pay the fee if:

  • your children leave the public school system
  • your visa status changes
  • your gross family income falls below the minimum threshold.

Complete and submit the online form and the department will notify you if you are eligible for a refund for payments you have made.

You are required to pay for the number of weeks your children attend at a public school, up to and including the date your status changes.


457 and 482 visa school fee administration

Phone: (08) 8226 7598
Email: education.SchoolFundingReform [at] sa.gov.au