On this page
The Department for Education has introduced COVID safe measures and requirements for the start of term 1, 2022.
See the term 1, 2022 COVID safe measures and requirements page for more information.
For details about vaccination requirements see COVID-19 vaccination requirements for education and early childhood settings.
The Department for Education provides schools, preschools, children’s centres and OSHC providers with advice to manage the impact of COVID-19.
COVID safe measures mean some school and preschool activities may need to operate differently. The department recognises that there is no one size fits all approach as every school and preschool is different.
Principals and directors are best placed to make local decisions and have the discretion to adjust activities and operations according to the requirements of their school, preschool or children’s centre with support from the department.
Face masks are:
- required for all adults (including visitors), except when teaching or interacting with children
- required for students in years 7 to 12
- strongly recommended for students in years 3 to 6.
Exemptions will be made for students or staff who have a medical condition, such as problems with their breathing, a serious skin condition on the face, a disability, or a mental health condition.
Supplies of surgical masks have been sent to all public children’s centres, preschools and schools.
Visit SA Health's website for guidance on how to wear a face mask and disposal of face masks.
Maintaining your wellbeing at this time of uncertainty is very important.
Some useful links include:
- SA COVID-19 Information Line: 1800 253 787
- SA Health COVID-19 updates
- SA Health Facebook
- COVID-19 Relief Call Centre: 1800 705 336 for information on personal hardship support, accommodation support for people unable to achieve self-quarantining.
- Education Standards Board 'Coronavirus (COVID-19) information
Visit www.covid-19.sa.gov.au for the most up to date information from South Australian government agencies about COVID-19.
You can call the South Australia COVID-19 Information Line on 1800 253 787 (8am to 8pm, 7 days a week).
Follow us on Facebook for latest advice: Department for Education, South Australia Facebook page.
COVID-19 (coronavirus) Team
Email: education.covidcoordination [at] sa.gov.au