Effective literacy skills are widely recognised in research as having a direct impact on individuals’ success in life, health and wellbeing as well as being crucial to economic growth and productivity.
The government’s Literacy Guarantee is central to improving the literacy levels of South Australian students in a world-class system.
The Literacy Guarantee is focussed on the important aim of improving our education system as a whole by putting literacy first for all of our students.
10 program elements make up the Literacy Guarantee
The Literacy Guarantee includes 10 program elements.
- Literacy coaches with expertise in phonics and teaching students with dyslexia and other learning difficulties.
- Phonics check for all year 1 students in South Australia.
- Free dyslexia workshops for parents across South Australia, including regional centres not currently serviced.
- Literacy Guarantee conferences providing professional development opportunities for teachers.
- Parental engagement resources for schools and families.
- Proficiency standards for NAPLAN testing.
- Literacy and numeracy testing of any new teaching graduates to be employed in South Australian Government schools.
- Ensuring all children get a chance, working with NGOs delivering evidence-based literacy and numeracy programs targeted at disadvantaged children in their early years before they get to school.
- Reviewing how SACE exams are conducted for students with dyslexia and other learning difficulties.
- Make breakfast programs available to every school that needs one.
Detailed information about each element will be linked on this page as it becomes available.
Literacy and Numeracy Team
Phone: 8463 5990
Email: Education.NumeracyandLiteracy [at] sa.gov.au