Go to top of page

Paying the temporary resident student fee

Who pays the fee

The primary subclass 457 or 482 visa applicant accepts responsibility for paying the fee for all dependent children listed on the visa application who attend government schools in greater Adelaide.

Employer payment

The primary applicant can nominate their employer to pay the student fee on their behalf.

The employer payment can be attractive because education payments made for children of families on 457 or 482 visas may qualify for salary packaging benefits.

Talk to your employer to find out if you can access this benefit.

How to pay

Once you have submitted an online registration you will be given an invoice.

You can pay the fee either:

  • up-front annually via BPay or, BPoint
  • in weekly, fortnightly, monthly or per term instalments via BPay, BPoint or direct debit.

A direct debit facility is available from the department. Payment details will be sent to you with the invoice.

If enrolling midway through the school year, you will only be charged for the number of school weeks remaining.

Waiving or reducing the temporary resident student fee

If your family’s circumstances change, use the change visa holder information form to apply to waive or reduce the temporary resident student fees.

Decreasing income

If your income decreases, the primary applicant may apply for a fee waiver or reduction.

You must provide:

  • your and your partner's 3 most recent pay slips
  • income reported on PAYG payment summary from all employment in the last 12 months
  • your 457 or 482 visa grant notice.

Financial hardship

If unplanned changes happen to your financial circumstances that will impact on paying the fee, the primary applicant can apply for a fee waiver or reduction.

Unplanned changes can include:

  • serious illness
  • unemployment
  • change of employment conditions
  • family breakdown
  • death
  • change in your financial circumstances.

Applications will be considered on a case by case basis. You will need to give evidence to support your application.

If you are no longer eligible to pay the fee

You may no longer be eligible to pay the fee if:

  • your children leave the public school system
  • your visa status changes
  • your gross family income falls below the minimum threshold.

Complete the change visa holder information form. The department will let you know if you are eligible for a refund for payments you have made.

You must pay for the number of weeks your children go to a public school, up to and including the date your 457 or 482 visa expires or you are granted a different visa, whichever comes first.

Temporary resident student fee administration

Phone: (08) 8226 7598
Email: Education.TempVisaStudents [at] sa.gov.au