Go to top of page

Supporting children and students who need help with physical transfer and positioning

This page outlines how education staff, care services, parents, guardians, and health professionals work together to manage a child or student with transfer and positioning needs in education and care settings.

About transfer and positioning

Students may have a long term or short term condition where they need help to be physically moved or repositioned. When working with a student who needs support with their movement, transfers or positioning, it is important to consider the safety of the student and yourself.

Health support plans and agreements

If the child or student has transfer and positioning needs, the education or care service should refer to health support planning for children and students in education and care settings to ensure that the appropriate plans and agreements are in place. This is in addition to the transfer and positioning-specific plans and agreements listed on this page. 

Care plan 

A transfer and positioning care plan – HSP220 (DOC 432KB) should be completed by a physiotherapist, occupational therapist or treating health professional, in consultation with parents or legal guardians, when a child or young person requires assistance with transfer, positioning and mobility. 

Transfer and positioning observation log

A transfer and positioning observation log – HSP221 (DOC 147KB) should be used to record the outcome of transfers and positioning for a child or young person. This information can be used by staff, families and health professionals to monitor and review the child or young person’s transfer and positioning care plan.

Specialised equipment

The Special Education Resource Unit (SERU) provides equipment to help children and young people with physical disabilities to participate in education and care. For enquiries phone 8235 2871.

Education and care staff using any specialised equipment must be given training and information on the appropriate use of the equipment.

Training for education and care staff 

Schools, preschools and other care staff must be appropriately trained to transfer and position children and young people, or when using specialised equipment to ensure the safety of children and staff.

Transfer and positioning support workshop  

Novita’s transfer and positioning support (TAPS) workshop provides information and practical knowledge on the safe movement, transfer and positioning of children and young people for:

  • child care or out of school hours care (OSHC) educators
  • preschool teachers and support staff
  • primary teachers and support staff
  • community service workers.

For workshop enquiries phone 1300 668 482 or training [at] novita.org.au">email training [at] novita.org.au

How parents and caregivers can help

Parents or guardians must:

  • notify the school, preschool or care service if their child needs help with transfer and positioning
  • complete health care plans and agreements with their health care professionals and provide them to the school, preschool or care service
  • provide required medication to the school, preschool or care service.

If a medication agreement is in place, parents and caregivers must fulfil the roles and responsibilities outlined on the medication management and care page.

How health professionals can help

Health professionals support schools, preschools, care services and families by helping to develop the care plan and any supporting medication and care agreements.

Disability and Complex Needs Team

Phone: 8226 0515
Email: education.health [at] sa.gov.au