On this page
The Instrumental Music Vocal Ensemble (IMVE) provides a tailored playing opportunity for singers in SA government secondary schools.
The repertoire includes exciting and challenging music representing a wide range of musical styles. Gaining confidence in performance is an essential part of musical learning.
The IMVE enables students to take Music Performance – Ensemble as a SACE 2 subject.
IMVE may undertake a tour during the year in the city or country.
All vocal students undertaking formal lessons in SA government secondary schools, years 7 to 12 in 2022 are eligible to apply. Entry is by performance placement assessment.
Placement is prioritised to students enrolled in a secondary classroom music subject in 2022, and/or participating in school choirs as required by the school.
Placement of students not meeting these criteria are considered if positions maintaining balance within the IMVE are subsequently available.
Positions are available in all sections of the ensemble.
The standard required is beyond beginner level. The duration of each placement assessment is approximately 15 minutes.
Applicants will present the following:
- Technical work
- Sing a major scale – choose your own – a starting note will be provided
- Select and sing a note from a chord played by the teacher
- You will be taught a simple harmony line and will need to sing it along with the teacher singing another line.
- Own piece
- Select a piece or section of a piece to perform (with or without backing or accompaniment). Choose a piece that reflects your current level of learning and demonstrate your skills.
- Set piece
- Learn this vocal ensemble piece (PDF 990KB) to present at the assessment.
You can book your performance placement assessment in our online booking system.
Audition places are at the Underdale High School on:
- Tuesday 16 November OR
- Tuesday 30 November.
Print the student ensemble application form (Word 174KB) and take to your audition.
Members are expected to:
- participate in all programmed performances and events
- engage positively with the entire team
- learn the music before rehearsals; they are expected to ask their instrumental music voice teacher for help
- attend rehearsals and learn music for performances – this may include weekend and evening tutorials as required during the year
- cover the costs of membership, including providing suitable performance clothing.
- weekly, starting in term 1, week 3
- located at Underdale High School, Garden Terrace, Underdale
- 4.00pm to 5.45pm.
If a member is unable to attend, they must notify the conductor by 12.00pm on the day of the rehearsal or event.
Rehearsal and performance uniforms
Members must wear school uniform to rehearsals.
Performance uniform will be decided after rehearsals start.
The membership fee is $55 per year.
Instrumental Music Leader, Learning Pathways
Phone: 0458 185 152
Email: Education.Ensembles669 [at] schools.sa.edu.au