On this page
Expressions of interest are sought from Department for Education teachers and employees and non-government teachers for the role of School Sport Convenors.
- Convenors will be based or linked to schools or corporate sites throughout South Australia.
- Term of appointment is 12 months for 2022.
All positions are funded at the below full time equivalent (FTE) teacher rate unless indicated otherwise.
- Adelaide North East – 0.125 FTE
- Adelaide South East – 0.174 FTE
- Airport – 0.193 FTE
- Barker – 0.174 FTE
- Barossa & Light – 0.193 FTE
- City South – 0.15 FTE
- East Adelaide – 0.174 FTE
- Hills – 0.174 FTE
- Kangaroo Island - 0.125 FTE
- Lower South East – 0.193 FTE
- Mid North – 0.174 FTE
- Mid South East - 0.174 FTE
- North Adelaide – 0.174 FTE
- Northern – 0.125 FTE
- Onkaparinga North – 0.15 FTE
- Onkaparinga South – 0.193 FTE
- Para Districts – 0.125 FTE
- Port – 0.193 FTE
- Salisbury East – 0.125 FTE
- South West – 0.193 FTE
- Southern Fleurieu – 0.193 FTE
- Southern Heights – 0.193 FTE
- Southern Valley – 0.15 FTE
- Tea Tree Gully – 0.193 FTE
- Torrens River – 0.125 FTE
- Upper South East – 0.174 FTE
- Western – 0.15 FTE
South East – 0.25 FTE
Regional convenors will be supported with either SSO admin hours, TRT days or a combination of both
Metro North – 0.6 FTE STL1 incorporates
- Playford district
- Gawler district
- Northern zone
- Lower North zone
Eyre Peninsula – 0.4 FTE incorporates
- Central Eyre Peninsula district
- Lower Eyre Peninsula district
- Western Eyre Peninsula district
- Eyre Peninsula zone
Murray River and Mallee – 0.4 FTE incorporates
- Murraylands district
- Murray Mallee district
- Upper South East zone
Riverland – 0.3 FTE incorporates
- Riverland district
- Riverland zone
Southern Flinders – 0.4 FTE STL1 incorporates
- North Eastern district
- Pirie district
- Mid North zone
Yorke Peninsula 0.2 FTE incorporates
- Northern Yorke Peninsula district
- Southern Yorke Peninsula district
- Yorke Peninsula zone
Upper North – 0.25 FTE incorporates
- Whyalla district
- Upper North zone
The Sport and Water Safety Unit sits within the Curriculum and Learning (CAL) Division in the Department for Education.
The School Sport office consists of the
- School Sport Team Leader
- Assistant School Sport Team Leader
- School Sport Officers
- Senior Site Services Officer
- Finance Officer
- Administration Officer – Program Support.
Throughout South Australia there are district, zone and regional school sport convenors who are allocated a fraction of time dependant on the size of the area and program to provide sporting opportunities for students in their local area.
The convenor coordinates the development and implementation of quality school sports programs that align with the Australian Health and Physical Education Curriculum and General Capabilities to support the learning needs of students in the programs.
- District convenors work with 10 to 12 year old primary school students.
- Zone convenors work with year 7 to 12 secondary school students.
- Regional convenors work across primary and secondary schools.
The convenor will
- be responsible for delivering sports programs at the local interschool level as well as organising statewide and representative competitions conducted through the School Sport office.
- work in close collaboration with the School Sport office, to provide expertise in achieving effective and equitable program outcomes in partnership with key sporting organisations, clubs, and teachers in schools.
- work in conjunction with a committee of local school representatives are responsible for ensuring compliance with department policies and procedures in the conduct of school sport events.
- be responsible for meeting key outcomes, reporting participation data and specific event information and feedback in the required timeframe.
- Proven commitment to the values of school sport and commitment to improving student participation rates at the local interschool level.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills that are effective with diverse groups and individuals.
- Proven highly effective time management and organisation skills including personnel, financial and resources.
The convenor reports to the school sport assistant team leader and team leader and the district, zone, or regional chairperson. The chairperson is the nominated principal or principal’s delegate.
For day-to-day matters, the convenor maintains normal performance management relationships with their site.
For financial matters, the convenor works closely with the financial officer of the site where the district, zone or regional finance management is based.
Submit within the one document
- A maximum of 500 word expression of interest addressing the essential criteria number 1.
- A maximum of 500 word curriculum vitae.
- Application cover sheet (docx 107KB) which includes the names and contact details of 2 current referees, 1 being your line manager.
Applications must be emailed to education.schoolsportsa [at] sa.gov.au (subject: School%20Sport%20Convenor%20Application) by 5.00pm on Monday 18 October 2021 (term 4, week 2)
Daniel Rankine - 8416 5900
All Department for Education employees are expected to uphold the Code of Ethics for the South Australian Public Sector.
Employees have a responsibility to ensure they are aware of, properly administer and comply with all legislation and regulations relevant to the performance of their duties and their role including equal opportunity and relevant workplace health and safety legislation and related departmental responsibilities and procedures, including child safety.
School Sport SA
Phone: 8416 5900
Email: education.schoolsportsa [at] sa.gov.au