On this page
Skilling South Australia is a state government initiative helping people get the skills and qualifications to build careers and meet the workforce needs of industry.
As part of this initiative, the department is creating paid school-based traineeships for senior high school students. This will help young people develop skills and build meaningful career pathways.
Skilling SA school-based traineeships are available to public school students entering year 11 in 2022.
As a Skilling SA school-based trainee, students are:
- employed for 1 day a week (7.5 hours) and trained on the job in a public school or preschool
- enrolled with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to complete off-the-job learning
- working towards a nationally recognised Certificate III qualification
- paid as an employee of the department
- able to use completed RTO results towards achieving their SACE.
Off-the-job Vocational Education and Training (VET) studies is compulsory and delivered by an RTO. This may include face-to-face and/or online classes with a qualified instructor. The department covers all course fees.
Information on how to apply will be available soon.
Successful applicants will be placed in the following roles in semester 1, 2022:
- Classroom Support School Services Officers (SSOs)
- Business Administration SSOs
- Information Technology SSOs.
Before applying for a position, students must discuss this traineeship program with their parent or guardian, and the VET Leader or Career Advisor at their school.
Further Education and Pathways
Phone: 8226 0284
Email: Education.Pathways [at] sa.gov.au