On this page
'Skilling South Australia' is a state government initiative helping young people develop skills and build meaningful pathways to meet the workforce needs of industry.
As part of this, the Department for Education has created paid school-based traineeship places for senior high school students.
The Skilling SA school-based traineeship provides year 11 students, and eligible year 12 students, the opportunity to work 1 day per week (7.5 hours) at a nearby school.
As a Skilling SA school-based trainee, students are:
- trained on the job
- working towards a nationally recognised Certificate III qualification
- paid as an employee of the department
- able to use the traineeship towards achieving their SACE.
School-based trainees also undertake off-the-job Vocational Education Training (VET) studies. This may include face-to-face and online classes with a qualified instructor. The department covers all course fees.
Applications now closed
Applications for the first 2021 intake are now closed. Successful applicants are placed in the following roles:
- Classroom Support School Services Officer (SSO)
- Business Administration SSO
- Information Technology SSO
- Aboriginal Education Worker or Aboriginal Community Education Officer (ACEO).
Further information on how to get involved will be made available when the next round of the program is confirmed.
Further Education and Pathways
Phone: 8226 0284
Email: Education.Pathways [at] sa.gov.au