On this page
On 5 and 6 November a conference and workshop was held about keeping children safe in schools and the community.
The conference focused on a community approach to reducing the impact of bullying on children and young people. Over 900 people attended the conference, including educators and people who work with children and families in government, non-government, not-for-profit and community organisations. In the consultation workshop, over 200 selected attendees contributed to government responses about keeping children safe.
Specific conference sessions and speaker presentations are listed below. You can view the conference playlist on the department's YouTube channel. The conference program has all the details about speakers at the conference.
Welcome by Minister for Education, John Gardner.
It takes a village – preventing bullying through community and government partnerships.
Presented by Dr Wendy M Craig and Professor Marilyn Campbell.
Bullying of children with autism spectrum conditions
What do we know and what can we do?
Presented by Professor Neil Humphrey.
- Session recording: bullying and autism spectrum conditions.
- Speaker’s presentation: bullying and autism spectrum conditions.
- Autism and Education, Volume 2: resource from Professor Neil Humphrey.
- Bullying of children and adolescents with autism spectrum conditions: resource from Professor Neil Humphrey.
Addressing bullying from a trauma perspective
Presented by Dr Wendy M Craig.
Working together: a community in harmony
Presented by the Australian Universities’ Anti-Bullying Research Alliance.
- Session recording: working together.
- Speaker’s presentation: working together.
- Video used in session: excerpt from Professor Des Butler.
How will this work?
Prevention and intervention of youth bullying and sexual violence: research informed strategies.
Presented by Dorothy L Espelage.
Bullying and the law: crime, punishment and beyond
Chair: Professor Rick Sarre, University of South Australia
Panel members: Professor Marilyn Campbell, Professor Des Butler, Matthew Keeley.
- Session recording: bullying and the law.
- Graphical comparisons of legislation: resource from Professor Des Butler.
Same same but different
Chair: Trinh Mai, Department for Education.
Panel members: Professor Neil Humphrey, Associate Professor John Guenther, Dorothy L Espelage, Penny Wright.
Social?media and bullying
Chair: Sue Gabor, Office of the eSafety Commission.
Panel members: Wendy Craig, Lelia Green, Barbara Spears.
School gates and beyond – panel
Chair: Helen Connolly, South Australian Commissioner for Children and Young People.
Panel members: Professor Phillip Slee, Dr Grace Skrzypiece, Dr Lesley-Anne Ey.
- Session recording: school gates and beyond.
- School gates and beyond: resource from Dr Grace Skrzypiec.
If you can’t find a resource mentioned at the conference, please contact us.
Engagement and wellbeing – keeping safe
Phone: 8207 2491
Email: education.keepingsafe [at] sa.gov.au