On this page
Health Education Interface is not an acute mental health service.
For assistance in a mental health emergency, contact the mental health triage service.
- telephone 131465
- available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
If someone's life is in danger or there is an immediate risk of harm, call emergency services on 000.
The Health Education Interface (HEI) provides trained staff to support children with a disability and complex emotional health needs to enable participation in education where they are identified as:
- enrolled in a preschool or school at the time of referral
- having a disability
- having complex needs and exhibiting behaviours of concern that put their social and emotional wellbeing at risk - this includes disengagement from education, being at risk of disengagement, or exhibiting behaviours that put themselves or other at risk
- where the interface between emotional development, behaviour, physical and mental health needs is unclear and further investigation is required.
Where a child meets the criteria and requires support a WCHN Disability Services referral form is required. The referral is completed by the education or care service and parents and student support services team leader, and then emailed to Health.WCHNDisabilityServices [at] sa.gov.au.
If you are unsure contact a referral coordinator.
Phone: (08) 8159 9400
Email: Health.WCHNDisabilityServices [at] sa.gov.au.
HEI staff will meet with education staff, parents or care service and the child or young person to discuss individual needs and plan the supports.
Support, programs and interventions may include:
- a physical health screen by a medical consultant with a developmental focus
- a mental health screen by a developmental disability mental health practitioner
- development of an emotional health program, including recommendations for external services
- staff training to support in implementing the plan
- ongoing support/coaching as appropriate.
The HEI information for parents, caregivers and schools pamphlet provides further information on the program.
Disability and complex needs team
Phone: 8226 0515
Email: education.health [at] sa.gov.au