On this page
Information on how education and care services provide support for children with resuscitation and palliative care (end of life care) plans.
Education and care services can not apply the end of life care plan, only emergency or medical personnel can apply an end of life care plan.
The palliative care and resuscitation in education and care procedure (under development) will describe how education and care services support children and young people that have resuscitation and end of life care plans as part of their palliative care plan to manage deteriorating and life threatening conditions.
Where a child has palliative care and resuscitation plans a referral should be made to the Access Assistant Program to assess the complexity and allocate supports where appropriate.
Depending on the health condition of the child or young person a specific health care plan may be completed by a health professional in consultation with parents.
Where there is not a specific health care plan a non-specific health care plan HSP110 (DOC 166KB) may be completed by a health professional in consultation with parents.
Health support agreement
Where a child or young person has palliative care or resuscitation plans a health support agreement HSP120 (DOC 243KB) and safety and risk management plan HSP121 (DOC 147KB) should be completed. These are completed by the parent and education or care service to document specific risk minimisation strategies, individualised management and treatment for the child in the context of the education or care service.
The guide to planning health support – HSP125 can assist in the development of the health support agreement by prompting through a series of questions and considerations.
The Health Support Agreement should clearly identify cultural, spiritual and language needs.
Where medication is prescribed and required to be administered during attendance in an education or care service a medication agreement HSP151 (DOC 142KB) must be completed by a health professional.
Refer to medication management for further information.
Education and care staff supporting a child with an end of life care plan should still provide first aid, but cannot apply the end of life order. First aid administered in education and care for a child with an end of life order may include
• cardiopulmonary resuscitation
• rescue breaths (PDF 123KB), or
• rescue breaths including CPR (PDF 130KB)
The first aid response for education and care services should be agreed with the parents and treating health professionals.
A treating health professional may develop an individual first aid plan for end of life care (DOC 986KB). This plan can be developed for a child with an end of life care resuscitation plan that indicates they are NOT for chest compression and/or breathing support. The plan includes first aid for rescue breaths.
Individual first aid plan
An individual first aid plan HSP124 (DOC 167KB) should be completed by the treating health professional to describe clear instructions for the management of the child or young person.
Education and care services must have at least one designated first aider trained in HLTAID004 Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting in attendance at all times who is immediately available to administer first aid and emergency response medication. This training includes CPR.
Where a child’s first aid response requires rescue breathing additional training may be required.
The Women’s and Children’s Hospital Access Assistant Program may be contacted to provide advice on children with palliative care and resuscitation plans.
• phone (08) 8159 9400
• email health.wchndisabilityservices [at] sa.gov.au
- Health care plans for individual care – information for health professionals
- HSP110 Non-specific health care plan (DOC 166KB)
Health support agreement
- HSP120 Health support agreement (DOC 243KB)
- HSP121 Safety and risk management plan (DOC 147KB)
- HSP122 Offsite safety and risk management plan (DOC 148KB)
- HSP124 Individual first aid plan (DOC 190KB)
- rescue breaths (PDF 123KB)
- rescue breaths including CPR (PDF 130KB)
- HSP391 Individual first aid plan for end of life care (DOC 986KB)
Planning and management tools
- Access Assistant Program Referral Form
- Access Assistant Program Flowchart
- Access Assistant Program Brochure
- A practical guide to palliative care in pediatrics
- Paediatric Palliative Care: Teachers supporting students at school
- There’s no such thing as a silly question (a resource for families with a child with chronic or life threatening conditions)
- HSP125 Guide to health support planning (DOC 87KB)
Disability and Complex Needs Team
Phone: 8226 0515
Email: education.health [at] sa.gov.au