The National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) is an annual assessment for students in Years 3, 5, 7 and 9. It is commissioned by the Education Council, a council of ministers from all states and territories that works to ensure high‐quality schooling and early childhood development experiences for all young Australians.
The NAPLAN tests, coordinated by the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), are administered simultaneously in all schools across Australia by the relevant state test administration authority. The Department for Education is the test administration authority for all schools in South Australia.
NAPLAN is moving online from 2018.
This means moving NAPLAN from the current paper and pencil tests to computer-based assessments.
Online testing will provide better assessment, more precise results and faster turnaround of information, helping schools tailor teaching and learning to student needs.
All schools will move to NAPLAN online testing in the coming years. Schools will participate in a school readiness test in the year prior to check that they are prepared to run it.
As we plan the transition of all schools in South Australia to NAPLAN online we are working closely with the Association of Independent Schools South Australia and Catholic Education South Australia.
Students attending schools participating in paper based NAPLAN testing for 2018 will undertake tests between 15 – 17 May.
Additional information for parents/carers can be found on the National Assessment Program website.
A NAPLAN factsheet for parents and a brochure explaining the student results report information to parents are available to download from the parent/carer support section of the National Assessment Program website.
Reports were distributed to school principals in August 2017. Our key dates for school principals page has more information for paper-based testing schools.
- Braille NAPLAN test request form (WORD 19KB)
- Electronic NAPLAN test request form (WORD 19KB)
- Large print NAPLAN test request form (WORD 37KB)
- Request for additional test materials form (paper tests years 3, 5, 7, 9) (PDF 83KB)
- Request for additional year 3 writing book (Year 3 student at Online school) (PDF 85KB)
- Checklist for principals (PDF 25KB)
Due 11 May
The NAPLAN record of student exemption form is also available in the following languages:
- Arabic (PDF 212KB)
- Burmese (PDF 151KB)
- Chinese (PDF 159KB)
- Dari (PDF181KB)
- Dinka (PDF 116KB)
- Hindi (PDF 207)
- Khmer (PDF 83KB)
- Kirundi (PDF 120KB)
- Korean (PDF 241KB)
- Nepali (PDF 183KB)
- Punjabi (PDF 122KB)
- Spanish (PDF 128KB)
- Swahili (PDF 115KB)
- Tagalog (PDF 132KB
- Vietnamese (PDF 172KB)
Complete prior to test day
The NAPLAN record of student withdrawal form is also available in the following languages:
- Arabic (PDF 203KB)
- Burmese (PDF 109KB)
- Chinese (PDF 123)
- Dari (PDF 158KB)
- Dinka (PDF 111KB)
- Hindi (PDF 182KB)
- Khmer (PDF 49KB)
- Kirundi (PDF 109KB)
- Korean (PDF 154KB)
- Nepali (PDF 84KB)
- Punjabi (PDF 82KB)
- Spanish (PDF 94KB)
- Swahili (PDF 109KB)
- Tagalog (PDF 98KB)
- Vietnamese (PDF 149KB)
Handbooks and guides
- Handbook for principals 2018 (PDF 1.2MB)
- 2018 student participation website user guide (PDF 1.1MB)
- National protocols for test administration 2018 (paper) (PDF 349KB)
- Test administration handbook 2018 Year 3 (PDF 436KB)
- Test administration handbook 2018 Year 5 (PDF 412KB)
- Test administration handbook 2018 Year 7 (PDF 222KB)
- Test administration handbook 2018 Year 9 (PDF 230KB)
Sample test materials
- Year 3/5 example test questions (PDF 476KB)
- Year 3/5 reading stimulus 1 (PDF 3.0MB)
- Year 3/5 reading stimulus 2 (PDF 632KB)
- Year 7/9 example test questions (PDF 462KB)
- Year 7/9 reading stimulus 1 (PDF 292KB)
- Year 7/9 reading stimulus 2 (PDF 1.7MB)
Previous test materials
Test materials from previous years can be accessed via the ACARA website.
Applications for 2018 NAPLAN marking closed on 16 February 2018. Application outcomes will be known by 3 April 2018.
More information about NAPLAN marking is available on the marking the NAPLAN writing task information sheet.
For enquiries please decd.markingcentre [at] sa.gov.au (email) the NAPLAN marking centre team.
South Australian sector contacts
Department for Education
Manager, Test Administration
Phone: 8226 3269
Email: education.sa.taa [at] sa.gov.au
Catholic Education South Australia (CESA)
Senior Education Adviser Educational Measurement
Phone: 8301 6136
Email: ray.moritz [at] cesa.catholic.edu.au
More information for Catholic schools can be found on the CESA website.
Association of Independent Schools of South Australia (AISSA)
Phone: 8179 1415
Email: kadowr [at] ais.sa.edu.au
More information for independent schools can be found on the AISSA website.