Go to top of page

Private music instructors (PMIs)

Become a private music instructor

All SA Government schools must follow a recruitment process. Where a school decides to engage a private music instructor (PMI) the arrangements are negotiated between the individual Principal, PMI and parents. Private music instructors (PMI) are encouraged to contact their school leaders to discuss their intended process.

PMI registration process for 2019

Private Music Instructors must apply through the 2019 Employable Ancillary Register (EAR) and obtain an ‘Authority to Work’ letter issued by People and Culture. This replaces the ‘Letter of Authorisation’ previously issued by Music Programs. 

Anyone seeking engagement as a private music instructor must apply for an authority to work letter.

To receive an authority to work letter you must attach to the online application your:

For assistance with completing the online application read the EAR Application Guide for PMIs.  

Private music instructors must provide each school with a copy of their current:

  • authority to work letter
  • DHS relevant history screening clearance letter
  • RAN-EC certificate.

The authority to work letter requires renewal every year.

Graduate Certificate in Music Teaching

The Graduate Certificate in Music Teaching is offered by the University of Adelaide’s Elder Conservatorium of Music and aimed at in-service instrumental music teachers.

Graduates will gain the skills required for registration with the Teachers' Registration Board of SA, under the special authority to teach category.

For more information about this course, visit the University of Adelaide website.


Music programs

Phone: 8226 1883
Emaileducation.musicprograms [at] sa.gov.au