On this page
The design and build of each area takes into account authentic contributions from children, families and the local communities. The engagement process is helping to create culturally appropriate environments that strengthen local communities.
The areas enhance children's curiosity and experience in play by using unique features such as mounds with tunnels, garden and creek beds, mud kitchens and sensory walls.
All the preschool sites incorporate philosophies taken from the Reggio Emilia approach. It is a free and open-sourced style of learning that guides the relationships children have with their environment, family and peers.
- Sturt Street Children’s Centre, Adelaide – watch the Sturt Street video
- Wandana Child Parent Centre, Gilles Plains – watch the Wandana video
- Campbelltown Preschool, Campbelltown – watch the Cambelltown video
- Adelaide Miethke Kindergarten, Woodville South
- Brentwood Drive Kindergarten, Huntfield Heights
- Hackney Kindergarten, Hackney – opened 2016
- Elizabeth Grove Children's Centre, Elizabeth
- Oaklands Estate Kindergarten, Marion
- Alberton Preschool, Queenstown – watch the Alberton video
- Salisbury Park Kindergarten, Salisbury
- Riverview Preschool Centre, Salisbury Downs
- Madge Sexton Kindergarten, McLaren Vale – watch the Madge Sexton video
- Melaleuca Park Kindergarten, Mount Gambier – watch the Melaleuca Park video
- Flinders Kindergarten, Port Augusta
- Solomontown Kindergarten, Port Pirie
- Koonibba Child Parent Centre, Koonibba
- Mallala Preschool, Mallala
- Moonta Kindergarten, Moonta
- Renmark Children's Centre, Renmark
- Yankalilla Community Children's Centre, Yankalilla
To see a showcase of other schools and preschool developing outdoor learning areas, see the Nature Play SA website.
Concept design plans reflect input in the consultation from children, educators, families and the community. These plans illustrate the planning involved to develop a concept design that reflects the ideology and vision of the preschool outdoor learning project:
- Adelaide Miethke – Woodville South (PDF 1.6MB) – a suburban preschool north of Adelaide incorporating a tree walk with spaces arranged like ‘growth rings’ around the central feature.
- Sturt Street – Adelaide City (PDF 2.1MB) – an inner urban school providing spaces for children to use from birth to 7 years.
- Melaleuca Park Kindergarten (PDF 2.3 MB) – Mount Gambier – a rural preschool located on a school site with strong links to the community and the local government charter for children.
- Campbelltown Preschool (PDF 2.2MB) – a suburban preschool north east of Adelaide which connects the story of Fourth Creek, a creek running through Campbelltown to the outdoor learning zones.
- Madge Sexton Kindergarten (PDF 2.1MB) – located in the southern wine region of McLaren Vale connects already established outdoor areas to provide a more open and flexible space.
- Wandana Child Parent Centre (PDF 2.3MB) – a suburban preschool north east of Adelaide which has created outdoor spaces to encourage language communication to embrace its culturally diverse community.
For specific advice relating to design standards for outdoor learning environments please contact:
Asset Standards and Environmental Management
Phone: 8226 0091
Email: Education.Standards [at] sa.gov.au
For specific advice relating to the demonstration preschool outdoor learning projects:
Early Childhood services
Phone: 8226 0901
Email: Education.preschools [at] sa.gov.au