On this page
To become a swimming instructor with the Department for Education you must be at least 18 years old and you must do the following things.
Complete the following checklist and forms electronically, or print and complete:
- swimming instructor checklist (PDF 118KB)
- Swimming and Aquatics application form (PDF 717KB)
- health declaration (PDF 405KB) (must be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace)
You must provide evidence that you have completed:
- the Responding To Abuse And Neglect – education and care (RAN-EC) training (renewed every 3 years)
- a child related employment screening (CRES) (renewed every 3 years)
- basic emergency life support (BELS) or apply first aid training (renewed every 3 years)
- resuscitation training (renewed every year)
- asthma first aid training (renewed every 3 years)
- the Austswim teacher of swimming & water safety qualification (renewed every 3 years)
No other qualifications will be accepted.
If you don’t have these qualifications you could consider applying as an assistant instructor.
Completed applications should be sent to:
EducationSwimAquatics [at] sa.gov.au
Swimming and Aquatics unit
GPO Box 1604
Adelaide SA 5001
Application processing may take up to 6 weeks.
Once your application has been approved, you will receive a letter informing you that you are ‘eligible to work’ as an instructor.
Water safety team
Phone: 8416 5920
Fax: 8115 5558
Email: Educationswimaquatics [at] sa.gov.au