To become an assistant water safety instructor with the department, you must do the following.
Complete the following checklist and forms electronically, or print and complete:
- assistant instructor application checklist (PDF 193KB)
- water safety application form (PDF 890KB)
- health declaration (PDF 449B) (must be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace).
You must provide evidence that you are at least 16 years old and have completed:
- the Responding To Abuse and Neglect – education and care (RAN-EC) training (renewed every 3 years)
- a working with children check (renewed every 5 years).
Completed applications should be sent to:
EducationSwimAquatics [at] sa.gov.au
Water safety team
32 A Dew Street
Thebarton SA 5031
Application processing may take up to 6 weeks.
Once your application has been approved, you'll receive a letter informing you that you're eligible to work as an assistant instructor or instructor. Once approved, contact the instructor in charge at the centre(s) you want to be employed.
You need to be at least 18 years old to be work as an instructor.
Water Safety team
Phone: 8416 5920
Fax: 8115 5558
Email: Educationswimaquatics [at] sa.gov.au