New mandatory notification training (RRHAN-EC) is available now. You can do this if:
- your certificate is expiring soon, or
- you do not have a current certificate.
To become an assistant water safety instructor with the department, you must do the following.
Complete the following checklist and forms electronically, or print and complete:
- assistant instructor application checklist (PDF 193KB)
- water safety application form (PDF 890KB)
- health declaration (PDF 449B) (must be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace).
You must provide evidence that you are at least 16 years old.
You must also provide evidence that you have completed:
- the current and appropriate Responding to Risks of Harm, Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care (RRHAN-EC) training
- a working with children check (renewed every 5 years).
Completed applications should be sent to:
Water safety team
32 A Dew Street
Thebarton SA 5031
Application processing may take up to 6 weeks.
Once your application has been approved, you'll receive a letter informing you that you're eligible to work as an assistant instructor or instructor. Once approved, contact the instructor in charge at the centre(s) you want to be employed.
You need to be at least 18 years old to be work as an instructor.
Water Safety Team
Phone: 8416 5920
Fax: 8115 5558
Email: Educationswimaquatics [at] sa.gov.au