On this page
To become a swimming instructor with the Department for Education you must be at least 18 years old and you must do the following.
Complete the following checklist and forms electronically, or print and complete:
- swimming instructor checklist (PDF 242KB)
- water safety application form (PDF 896KB)
- health declaration (PDF 454KB) (must be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace)
You must provide evidence that you have completed:
- the current and appropriate Responding to Risks of Harm, Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care (RRHAN-EC) training
- a working with children check (WWCC) (renewed every 5 years)
- basic emergency life support (BELS) or provide first aid training (renewed every 3 years)
- resuscitation training (renewed every year)
- asthma first aid training (renewed every 3 years)
- the Austswim teacher of swimming & water safety qualification (renewed every 3 years)
No other qualifications will be accepted.
If you don’t have these qualifications you could consider applying as an assistant instructor.
Completed applications should be sent to:
Water Safety team
32A Dew Street
Thebarton SA 5031
Application processing may take up to 6 weeks.
Once your application has been approved, you'll receive a letter informing you that you're eligible to work as an instructor. Once approved, contact the instructor in charge at the centre(s) you want to be employed.
Water Safety Team
Phone: 8416 5920
Fax: 8115 5558
Email: Educationswimaquatics [at] sa.gov.au