On this page
If you’re a university student studying education, you can complement your studies by working as a School Services Officer (SSO) or Early Childhood Worker (ECW).
You’ll get valuable experience working in one of our schools or preschools while you’re studying.
Applications for SSO or ECW roles for university students are now closed for term 3, 2022.
School Services Officers
A School Services Officer (SSO) provides classroom support in our schools and preschools.
Early Childhood Workers
An Early Childhood Worker (ECW) provides curriculum classroom support in preschools. There are 3 types of ECWs – preschool, rural care and occasional care.
Starting work while studying gives you hands on experience working with students and young people.
- being employed in your professional field
- earning an income while you study ($30+ per hour)
- having flexibility to work around your studies (choose days that suit you)
- receiving guidance from experienced educators
- gaining valuable classroom experience
- gaining confidence working with children and young people
- creating networks and contacts for future employment.
You must be studying teaching at university and meet the eligibility requirements below.
The following are mandatory requirements if you want to be an SSO or ECW:
- be an Australian resident either with an Australian birth certificate, residency permit or current work visa
- have completed a full day Responding to Risks of Harm, Abuse and Neglect – education and care training
- have a valid Working With Children Check (WWCC)
- obtain an authority to teach or work letter
- comply with current vaccination requirements to work in the department.
Additional mandatory requirement to work as an ECW:
- you must have (or be working towards) either a Certificate III in Children’s Services or Education Support or Diploma in Children’s Services, Education and Care.