Go to top of page

Work opportunities for university students studying teaching

On this page

If you’re a university student studying education, you can complement your studies by working as a School Services Officer (SSO) or Early Childhood Worker (ECW).

You’ll get valuable experience working in one of our schools or preschools while you’re studying.

Available roles

Applications for SSO or ECW roles for university students are now closed for term 3, 2022.

School Services Officers

A School Services Officer (SSO) provides classroom support in our schools and preschools. 

Early Childhood Workers

An Early Childhood Worker (ECW) provides curriculum classroom support in preschools. There are 3 types of ECWs – preschool, rural care and occasional care.

What’s in it for you

Starting work while studying gives you hands on experience working with students and young people.

Benefits include:

  • being employed in your professional field
  • earning an income while you study ($30+ per hour)
  • having flexibility to work around your studies (choose days that suit you)
  • receiving guidance from experienced educators 
  • gaining valuable classroom experience
  • gaining confidence working with children and young people
  • creating networks and contacts for future employment.

Eligibility and requirements

You must be studying teaching at university and meet the eligibility requirements below.

The following are mandatory requirements if you want to be an SSO or ECW:

Additional mandatory requirement to work as an ECW:

  • you must have (or be working towards) either a Certificate III in Children’s Services or Education Support or Diploma in Children’s Services, Education and Care.

People and Culture

Phone: 8226 1356
Email: education.hr [at] sa.gov.au