The 2018-2020 Responding to Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care (RAN-EC) update course is available on plink.
After your staff complete the online update, it’s recommended that you follow up with a professional focus session.
You can use these prompting questions as a focus. The questions are suggestions and aren’t intended to limit what you talk about in your site’s session. It is more important that you develop a session that is relevant to your workplace.
Provide a safe, respectful and engaging environment
- What practices or site procedures do we have in place at our site to ensure we have a safe, respectful and engaging environment?
- What could we put in place to improve our approach?
- How will we make that a focus for the year?
- What is the most important information for staff and volunteers in the updated protective practice guidelines? What are the implications for our site’s practices?
Recognise and respond
- What steps can we take to act in a culturally respectfully way when responding to concerns about child abuse and neglect?
- How do we collect and collate information for a quality notification to the Child Abuse Report Line without doing an investigation?
- Could we improve the way we work together to make a detailed mandatory notification report?
- What will we put in place to do this?
Understand and support
- What are the key external services and resources that we have in place to support our students and their families?
- Are there any gaps in resources in local services and resources available to our site?
- How do we identify and pursue opportunities to develop more connections?
- Do we have a common understanding on how trauma can impact on a child or young person – learning, behaviour and socialising relationships?
- What strategies do we have in place at our site to adapt how can support a traumatised child or young person?
Engagement and Wellbeing
Email: education.CSW [at] sa.gov.au