On this page
Please note, this year there’s no nomination phase – encourage colleagues you are proud to work alongside to apply, and don’t be afraid to put in your own application too!
The awards are open to all department employees.
Applications are open from Tuesday 1 June to Wednesday 30 June 2021. Late entries will not be accepted.
To apply department employees need to:
- open the public education awards application form
- create a login and then follow the steps within the form
- check that you have addressed all criteria and you have read the terms of entry
- press ‘submit’ once your application has been completed (you will receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted).
Applications undergo endorsement and due diligence checks as part of the awards process to make sure finalists are in good standing with the department.
The awards manager will keep in touch and advise if you are a finalist once judging is completed.
Once you decide to apply in the awards it is important to talk to your site leader or manager and choose the most appropriate category for your achievement. Your principal or director will be required to endorse your application after you submit. Some categories are open to all staff, while others may be restricted to site-based staff, educators or corporate staff.
Choose the category in which you can most comprehensively address the award criteria. The criteria are included in our Public Education Awards application guide (PDF 2.2MB). Each category also specifies if it's open to applications from individuals, teams or both.
The application form will be available online during June. You'll need to create a login and then follow the steps to complete your application.
The response to each question in the application process has a word limit – remember, less words is fine if you have clearly answered the question. Make sure your answers are clear, concise and written in plain English. Provide specific examples to demonstrate how you have met the award criteria.
Judges may be unfamiliar with your area of work, so avoid acronyms or relying on assumed knowledge. Ask a colleague or manager to co-write or read through your application before submitting.
The online form can be accessed on your computer or device. You can revisit it to work on your application as many times as you like until you submit your entry before 30 June.
Applications can be written by the entrant alone, or together with a leader or peer. To support working on these together we have provided word templates below. These outline the questions for each award category. Once you have completed the template, copy and paste your answers into your online application via the online form. You will also need to provide a few more details – for example, your Principal and Education Director or Executive Director’s details for approval and endorsement.
The application form auto-saves as you go, but please make sure you save while you work.
- Community Engagement Award application template
- Credit Union SA Primary Teacher of the Year Award application template
- Early Years Leader of the Year Award application template
- Early Years Teacher of the Year Award application template
- Inclusive Teacher of the Year (Disability) Award application template
- Primary Leader of the Year Award application template
- Secondary Leader of the Year Award application template
- Secondary Teacher of the Year Award application template
- Site-based Support Award application template
- System Support Award application template
- University of South Australia Team Teaching Award application template
You will need to tell us how you’ll spend the $10,000 prize should you win an award.
Your answer will be included in your application to show your considered approach to performance development.
In your answer, detail the learning or activity you’d like to undertake should you win. Include approximate timings and budget, showing how you would allocate the $10,000 prize. You should also describe the expected outcomes and benefits of this learning or activity to your role.
All applications require endorsement to be eligible for an award.
Approval must be provided by your principal or director, including anyone acting in those positions at the time. Applications will then proceed to the relevant education director or executive director for endorsement.
Public Education Awards
Phone: 8463 4985
Email: publiceducationawards [at] sa.gov.au