The merit selection process exists to ensure that the most suitable, qualified applicant is chosen for each vacancy.
Merit selection panels are required to comply with the criteria described in these documents:
- merit selection policy (PDF 174KB)
- merit selection procedure (PDF 175KB)
- merit selection instructions 1a through 11b
The panels comprise people with expertise appropriate for the site and trained in merit selection.
Panels for vacancies greater than 12 months will have a peer panellist. They will in most cases come from outside the site where the vacancy is advertised.
The peer panellist is also used to provide the gender representation on a panel where required.
Governing council representatives – selection training
Selection training for governing council representatives is provided by the South Australian Association of School Parents Clubs. Contact them to arrange for this training.
Council members can talk to their current principals for more information on this.
Policy, procedures and instructions
- recruitment and selection policy for teaching staff in preschools (PDF 457KB)
- procedures for the recruitment and selection of teaching staff in preschools (PDF 703KB)
- recruitment and selection policy for ancillary staff (PDF 546KB)
- procedure for the recruitment and selection of ancillary staff in schools and preschools (PDF 775KB)
- identifying and establishing positions – schools and preschools (PDF 33KB)
- identifying, establishing and defining PS Act, 101B and seconded teacher positions (PDF 35KB)
- eligibility (PDF 36KB)
- panel composition for Education and Children`s Services Acts vacancies (including seconded teachers) (PDF 47KB)
- panel composition PS Act and corporate 101B positions (PDF 31KB)
- training (PDF 42KB)
- written application requirements (PDF 32KB)
- use of external recruitment agency or consultant (PDF 32KB)
- referee reports (PDF 35KB)
- internal review and external appeal Education Act vacancies (PDF 37KB)
- internal review and external appeal for Public Sector Act vacancies (PDF 39KB)
- disclosure of information (PDF 34KB)
- shortlisting (PDF 30KB)
- registers of interest for vacancies under the Education and Children's Services Acts (PDF 37KB)
- registers of interest PS Act (PDF30KB)
Applicants seeking a review of a merit selection decision should refer to merit selection complaints.
Ethical Conduct unit
Phone: 8226 1342
Email: Education.ECU [at] sa.gov.au