On this page
Country incentive schemes available to eligible teachers are in the South Australian School and Preschool Education Staff Enterprise Agreement 2016, clause 4.2 and Schedule 2.
Country incentives until 2002 (incl)
Teachers who commenced service in a designated school(s) prior to the end of the 2002 school year may be entitled to country incentives pursuant to clause 4.2 and Schedule 2.1 of the South Australian School and Preschool Education Staff Enterprise Agreement 2016.
Subject to meeting the eligibility criteria contained in Schedule 2.1 of the Enterprise Agreement, these incentives may include:
- transfer to a permanent position in a school in the metropolitan area, after 4 years.
- transfer to another country school or transfer to a school in the metropolitan area , after 2 and 3 years respectively
- a $500 allowance on the satisfactory completion of each year of approved study, subject to meeting service requirements
- one term of paid study leave after 2 years' service in an Aboriginal or Anangu School
- a period of paid leave (or at the employees option the equivalent in monetary terms) after continuous service in a designated school, or in two schools which together attract 9.5 or more isolation placement points – after six years one term; after eight years two terms; after ten years one year
- an allowance, on the basis of the reasonable cost of removal from the employee's location to the metropolitan payable at the completion of the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th year in a school that attracts 3.5 or more isolation placement points.
- an allowance equivalent to either one (for a school with a 3.5 isolation placement points) or two (for a school with 5.5 isolation placement points) additional salary increments up to a maximum of Step 8 for remaining beyond 4 years in a relevant school
Leaders in Aboriginal or Anangu Schools may also be eligible:
- to attend a 4 week induction program
- for an allowance equivalent to the annual rent paid on their 'Real Estate Management' residence
- for training and development leave
- for a Band A position within 150 km of Adelaide for 2 years or salary maintenance without pegging in another location for a further two years
Country incentives from 2003 (incl)
Teachers appointed to schools and preschools from the beginning of the 2003 school year will be entitled to country incentive payments pursuant to Clause 4.2 and Schedule 2.2 of the South Australian School and Preschool Education Staff Enterprise Agreement 2016.
- accrue and are payable on a fortnightly basis
- apply during years 1 to 5 of service at a named school/preschool within a relevant Country Zone
- vary depending on the country zone in which the relevant school/preschool is located
- are paid to eligible part time employees on a pro rata basis
In addition there will be payment of a one off 'incidentals payment' made upon recruitment to permanency in Country Zones 2, 3, 4 or 5
Teachers in Aboriginal and Anangu Schools may also be eligible:
- to receive a 4 week induction program (B and A school leaders and persons appointed as school deputy principals under B and B)
- for one term study leave with pay or one term's approved Training and Development leave.
Teachers who commenced in a designated school(s) prior to the end of the 2002 school year and elected to opt in to the 'new' country incentive scheme which became effective from the beginning of the 2003 school year have no entitlement to any country incentives under the provisions of Schedule 2.1.
The country incentives scheme has been amended to provide a fixed annual cash incentives payment equal to the averaged amount over the course of five years, rather than an increasing rate over the five year period. This applies to employees who have commenced in a five year country incentive scheme from the 2016 school year.
The 2016 Agreement also states that the department and AEU will review the country incentives scheme during the life of the enterprise agreement.
People and Culture – Operations
Phone: 8226 1356
Email: education.hr [at] sa.gov.au