Go to top of page

Relocating to rural and remote areas

Teachers or leaders relocating to rural or remote areas may be eligible to receive:

  • removalist arrangements (1 pick-up and 1 delivery)
  • overnight accommodation
  • packing allowance
  • furniture depreciation allowance
  • kilometre allowance.

See the relocation instructions (PDF, 102.5 KB) for information on relocation expenses.


You are eligible if you are:

  • transferring to another school on promotion or for departmental reasons
  • transferring to another school at your own request after more than 3 years of satisfactory service at a school
  • moving without transfer to government employee housing
  • appointed to a rural or remote school as your first appointment as a teacher or a leader
  • required to relocate a distance of greater than 45 kilometres.

Your position appointment letter will indicate whether you are entitled to removal expenses.

Removalist arrangements

1. Contact the removals officer

You can contact the removals officer after receiving your position appointment letter, or receiving details from your new principal. Contact details will be in your letter.

All removal arrangements must be made or approved by the removals officer.

2. Complete inventory form

Complete the removal inventory form (DOCX, 69.6 KB). It is important you follow the relocation instructions (PDF, 102.5 KB).

3. Contact your allocated removal company

  1. You will receive an email with contact details for your allocated removal company, and a removal claim form.
  2. Contact your allocated removalist to arrange a date for your move. It is your responsibility to negotiate a moving date and other moving details with your removalist.

4. Prepare items for removal

See the relocation instructions (PDF, 102.5 KB) to check which items will not be moved by your removalist, and what you need to do to prepare. For example:

  • dismantle furniture
  • pack items into appropriately sized cartons


You will be covered by ‘in transit’ insurance up to $100,000. See the relocation instructions (PDF, 102.5 KB) for insurance conditions.

Additional relocation allowances

You may be eligible to claim additional allowances.

Overnight accommodation

You may receive reimbursement for essential overnight accommodation, but only if you have received prior approval from the removals officer. On your removal claim form you must itemise your accommodation expenses and attach receipts.

Packing allowance

You may claim an $85 packing allowance to assist with the cost of packing materials.

Furniture depreciation allowance

You can claim a $690 furniture depreciation allowance (if the value of your household furniture and effects exceeds $3,550).

The allowance is for accelerated depreciation and extra wear and tear on your furniture and effects, and necessary replacements and alterations to carpets, curtains, linoleum etc.

Kilometre allowance

If you are travelling via car from your old residence to your new residence, you may claim 29.0 cents per kilometre.

If you will be travelling via bus, rail or other transport, contact the removals officer first to check whether you can claim any entitlements.

How to apply for additional allowances

You will receive a removal claim form with your allocated removal company letter.

After you have moved, complete the removal claim and send to education.hr [at] sa.gov.au.


People and Culture Services

Phone: 8226 1356
Email: education.hr [at] sa.gov.au