Go to top of page

Types of teaching employment

The department offers temporary relief teaching, temporary contract teaching and permanent teaching positions.

Temporary relief teaching

Temporary relief teachers (TRT) and temporary relief preschool teachers (TRP) are employed by schools and preschools on a daily (casual) basis to temporarily replace absent teachers.

Retired teachers who have finalised their resignation and superannuation requirements can be considered for temporary teaching employment.

Register your interest for relief teaching in the employable teacher register via Edujobs (ETR).

Finding relief teaching work

You can find work as a TRT or TRP by:

  • introducing yourself to a number of schools where you would like to teach. The schools will contact you when they require a TRT or TRP. Teachers must provide a copy of their current authority to teach letter to each school site leader prior to employment
  • registering with a TRT cluster scheme (PDF 165KB), which will contact you as required. Teachers must provide a copy of their current authority to teach letter to each registered cluster office prior to employment.

Temporary employment

Contract teaching positions can be from 20 working days up to  24 months.

You can register your interest in temporary contract work in the employable teacher register (ETR) at any time.

Schools and preschools are able to access the information from the ETR when filling vacancies and may contact you directly.

Schools and preschools may also advertise positions in some instances.

You can apply online for an advertised temporary position but you will not be able to start work until your ETR application is successful and you have an authority to teach letter.

Where schools and preschools have a temporary vacancy, they can make a report of all approved ETR applicants matching their vacancy and they will contact the applicants themselves.

Permanent employment

Teachers appointed to permanent teaching positions have ongoing tenure.

Permanent positions advertised on Edujobs are open to:

  • permanent teachers who are in at least their second year of an on-going appointment
  • temporary teachers who are qualified and meet minimum requirements for employment as identified in the employable teachers register (ETR)
  • graduates in their final year of their teaching qualification who can meet minimum requirements for employment prior to commencing the appointment.

There are information sessions conducted every year for all teachers including permanent school and preschool teachers as well as temporary teachers where you can meet HR staff and find out more about the recruitment process.


People and Culture operations

Phone: 8226 1356
Email: Education.Recruitment [at] sa.gov.au

Who do I ask?