On this page
Family day care is a child care service offering families affordable, personalised care by a qualified educator in a safe and nurturing home environment. Educators may care for up to 7 children at any one time, with no more than 4 children under school age. The service is for children from birth to 12 years.
We have managed family day care for more than 40 years and we’re the longest-serving provider of family day care services in South Australia. Our educators come from a variety of cultural backgrounds across metropolitan and regional areas.
We recognise and support the importance of play-based learning with a child’s education and care tailored to maximise the learning.
Educators are monitored and supported by our qualified family day care staff, working at a local level interacting with the children, educators and families.
We offer care during work hours, before/after school, during school holidays, overnight and on weekends.
Please refer to the following page if you are interested in becoming a family day care educator.
Family day care benefits children as:
- smaller groups of children means strong, trusting relationships with one main educator
- siblings can be cared for together in the same home
- children will be in a home environment that will help them develop relationships that go from a young age through to primary school years
- they can be cared for if they have additional needs
- they will be in an environment that supports play-based learning.
As a parent or guardian you :
- have access to a formal childcare option that can operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- have a choice of educators so you can decide who best suits you and your child
- may be eligible for the Australian Government’s Child Care Subsidy.
The family day care educators:
- have a minimum qualification of Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- have regular police clearance checks for themselves and other occupants in their homes
- have current first aid and CPR
- run a service that complies with the National Quality Framework and state requirements
- are supported by highly-trained department family day care coordinators who work at a local level and interact with children, educators and parents.
Family day care is an inclusive service and children with additional needs are welcomed into our small, home-based care environments.
The department also operates the Respite Care Program, a specialised disability care service for children and young people. The program is a provider for the Australian Government’s National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) which provides funding for respite care for children and young people with a disability.
For more information about the Respite Care Program, please contact 8343 6533.
Find a family day care service near you.
The family day care policy and 5 standards were approved in 2017.
Our cross-referenced policy review document has a summary of standards and the changes that have been made.
- Children’s health and safety standard
- Children’s learning standard
- Educators, families and community standard
- Physical environment in FDC standard
- Service management standard
The Family Day Care Fee and Levy Charging and Compliance Procedure is currently being updated to include recent changes to the Australian Government’s Child Care Subsidy. The following document outlines the department’s Family Day Care Fee and Levy Charges for 2018-2020.
Family Day Care Business and Customer Support Centre
Phone (metro): 8343 6533
Phone (country): 1300 551 890
Email: educationfdcbusiness [at] sa.gov.au