Go to top of page

Make a public interest disclosure (whistleblowing)

Government employees can make a public interest disclosure. This is sometimes referred to as whistleblowing. There are some protections for people making appropriate public interest disclosures.

Download the public interest disclosure procedure (PDF 660KB).

Use the online public interest disclosure form.

Changes to whistleblowing laws in 2019

The Public Interest Disclosure Act 2018 (PID Act) commenced on July 1, 2019, replacing the Whistleblowers Protection Act 1993 (WP Act).

The new laws strengthen transparency and accountability in government by establishing a scheme that encourages and facilitates the appropriate disclosure of public interest information to certain persons or authorities. It provides protections for some persons who make an appropriate disclosure of public interest information in accordance with the PID Act and sets out processes for dealing with such disclosures.

What is public interest information?

There are two types of public interest information:

  • Environmental and health information – where there is a substantial risk to the environment or to public health and safety.
  • Public administration information – where there is potential corruption, misconduct or maladministration in public administration.

Making a public interest disclosure

If you wish to make a public interest disclosure that relates to the Department for Education or any of its employees, contact one of the appointed responsible officers of the department.

You can also use the online public interest disclosure form.

Lisa Dwiar, Director Employee Relations

Phone: 8226 2207
Email: lisa.dwiar [at] sa.gov.au

Audra Cooper, Director Customer and Information Services

Phone: 8226 3246
Email: audra.cooper887 [at] schools.sa.edu.au

Andrews Wells, Director Incident Management

Phone: 8226 1847
Email: andrew.wells [at] sa.gov.au

Jasmine Sinodinos, Director Audit and Risk

Phone: 8226 1997
Email: jasmine.sinodinos [at] sa.gov.au

More information

For more information, visit the Office of the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment.