On this page
The Career Education and Pathways Strategy sets the direction for quality career education and guidance in government schools. It supports students to get a head start in their career before they complete their secondary education.
Read our Career Education and Pathways Strategy (PDF 1 MB) to see how we will support every school student on their pathway to lifelong success.
Purpose of our strategy
Effective career education and guidance empowers students to explore career options and make informed choices for their future beyond school.
We want all school students to thrive and prosper, and to successfully transition from school into a post-school pathway aligned to their passions and interests. The pathway could include further education or employment.
The strategy includes initiatives that will help us to meet our ambition that:
- students get a head start in their career
- schools provide quality career education and guidance
- employers get the skilled workforce they need
- parents and carers recognise vocational education and training (VET) as a pathway to success
- students receive the tailored support they need.
It aims to:
- raise the perception of VET as an attractive alternative to university
- increase the number of young people transitioning from school to employment, further training or higher education
- improve VET and school retention and completion rates
- prepare young people for the jobs and careers in South Australia.