On this page
Sustainability is part of the Australian curriculum. School and preschool leaders can register for the Sustainable Schools program that will help them to:
- learn about and connect to the natural world
- educate children and young people about the environment
- learn how to take action for sustainability.
Sustainable Schools with Green Adelaide
Sustainable Schools is a free program offered by Green Adelaide for metropolitan schools and preschools.
The program can help you to:
- develop a shared vision for your school or preschool’s sustainability story
- include sustainability in your culture, curriculum and practice
- link with other school communities and service providers focused on sustainability
- design hands-on learning, for example building frog ponds, vegetable plots and butterfly gardens
- investigate wildlife and create habitat in your school and beyond
- become a hub for sustainability education with your local communities.
Through Sustainable Schools you can access:
- professional development training and networking events
- climate action resources and programs to green and cool your school
- youth voice resources and programs, including the Youth Environment Council
- local information, such as ID charts, factsheets and games, on animals, plants, environments and climate change
- a loan library of books, videos, curriculum resources and equipment
- a weekly email newsletter.
Sustainable Schools aligns with the Australian Curriculum and Belonging, Being and Becoming – The Early Years Learning Framework.
Explore Sustainable Schools on the Green Adelaide website.
Register with Sustainable Schools
Registrations will need:
- your site name, address and contact details
- the names, role and email addresses of at least 2 staff (including the principal)
- a brief description of sustainability programs and priorities at your site
- what support you would like.
Find downloadable resources and the Sustainable Schools newsletter on the Green Adelaide website.
Regional schools and preschools
For more information on sustainability and environmental education, contact your local board through the Landscape South Australia website.
All South Australian schools and preschools can subscribe to the Sustainable Schools newsletter and access a range of downloadable resources from the Green Adelaide website.
Sustainability in the curriculum
Education for sustainability develops the knowledge, skills, values and worldviews necessary for people to live in more sustainable ways. It enables individuals and communities to reflect on ways of interpreting and engaging with the world.
Sustainability education is:
- looking to the future
- focused on protecting environments
- explaining how everyone can make a difference.
To improve sustainability we must consider environmental, social, cultural and economic systems and their connections.