On this page
The sexual behaviour in children and young people procedure and guideline give educators and care providers resources and guidance to respond to developmentally appropriate, concerning and harmful sexual behaviour in children and young people.
The procedure and guideline are for educators and care providers in the government, Catholic and independent education and care sectors.
The procedure and guidelines apply to:
- family day care services
- long day care services and rural care program
- out of school hours care services
- preschools and early learning centres
- respite care program
- education or care services provided by third party providers.
You can view the procedure, procedure appendices and guideline as 3 separate documents, or combined into 1 document.
Procedure and appendices
The procedure outlines the immediate and necessary actions you need to follow when responding to sexual behaviour.
The appendices give you the resources to carry out the actions in the procedure.
The guideline has additional information, best practice considerations and resources to support medium to longer term responses.
Procedure, appendices and guideline – combined
Download the procedure, procedure appendices and guideline as 1 document.
Refer to the procedure and guideline for how and when to use these resources.
Flowcharts and checklists
- Procedure flowchart – overview of required steps (PDF 47KB)
- Sexual offence flowchart – student allegedly responsible for harm (PDF 61KB)
- Sexual offence flowchart – harmed student (PDF 48KB)
- Response checklist – developmentally appropriate sexual behaviour (PDF 136KB)
- Response checklist – concerning or harmful sexual behaviour (PDF 182KB)
Templates and supporting resources
- Behaviour support plan (docx 63KB) for children or young people who have engaged in concerning or harmful sexual behaviour.
- Support and safety plan (docx 63KB) for children or young people affected by the concerning or harmful sexual behaviour of others.
- Sample letter to parents (docx 58KB) of children or young people not directly involved in or witness to sexual behaviour.
- Sexual behaviour record (docx 61KB) for you to document sexual behaviour incidents.
- Signs of Safety® harm analysis matrix (docx 60KB) to help you assess and monitor risk over time and inform the behaviour support plan.
- Signs of healthy sexual behaviour assessment and planning framework (docx 64KB) to inform the behaviour support plan and monitor progress towards safer behaviour.
- Information sharing agreement (docx 60KB) for sharing confidential information related to sexual behaviour.
For ancillary staff and volunteers
- Sexual behaviour in children and young people fact sheet for ancillary staff and volunteers (PDF 130KB) gives basic information to understand and respond to sexual behaviour.
For students and parents
- Sexual behaviour in children and young people – information for parents and carers
- Unwanted sexual behaviour and sexual harassment information for students
- ‘Sexual behaviour in children and young people – information for parents and carers’ is a hard copy brochure that has been provided to public education and care sites. It tells parents and carers how public education and care settings respond to children and young people’s sexual behaviour.
Engagement and Wellbeing Directorate
Phone: 8226 0859
Email: education.engagementandwellbeing [at] sa.gov.au