On this page
Our school improvement model is about improving educational outcomes for every student.
We began with a focus on getting the foundations of learning right – with literacy and numeracy support, planning and performance.
Now, it’s the wider curriculum. We’re supporting teachers by enabling them to translate the Australian Curriculum into the South Australian classroom.
This will save teachers time and allow them to focus on what they do best, working with each student.
Parents and carers are partners in learning. Much of what contributes to educational achievement at school, happens at home.
The first step towards achieving this was the introduction of our new school improvement model in 2018.
This provided a clear direction in terms of planning, data provision and literacy and numeracy advice.
Through the model we provided our schools and preschools with guidance to plan for improvement, focussing on the areas that are most relevant to them, and will best meet the needs of their school community.
The school improvement model focuses on the following:
- School improvement cycle (staff log in required) and school improvement plans (staff log in required)
- Stages of improvement (staff log in required)
- School improvement handbook 2.0 (staff log in required)
- Preschool improvement planning handbook and templates (staff log in required)
Literacy and numeracy advice
- Literacy and numeracy guidebooks (staff log in required)
- Aboriginal learner achievement leaders’ resource (staff log in required)
- Preschool literacy and numeracy guidebooks (staff log in required)
- Scope and sequence documents (R to 10 for 7 learning areas) (staff log in required)
- Units of work (English, Maths, Science and HASS – years 5 to 9) (staff log in required)
- Curriculum planning and documentation guidance (staff log in required)
Since 2018, and thanks to the commitment and hard work of our teams, South Australia has shown encouraging growth.
But we still have a way to go.
Now is the time to sustain and accelerate improvement.
Between September 2020 and September 2023 we will:
- release a series of resources to help bridge any gap between the Australian Curriculum and the classroom
- continue to expand the range of measures used to inform improvement
- continue to refine whole-school and preschool improvement practices to strengthen the achievement of every learner.
By working together, as we have done since 2018, we will continue to improve outcomes for South Australian children and young people.
School and preschool Improvement
Email: education.schoolimprovement [at] sa.gov.au