- have to do the Responding to Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care (RAN-EC) course for volunteers
- are considered a mandated notifier.
The site leader (principal or director) will guide you through what’s required and how to get more information.
Leadership and protecting children
Even though you might not work directly with children, you're in an influential position on the council. You might also hear about specific situations or children. The RAN-EC course for volunteers will help you in how to deal with what you might hear.
Part of your role on a council is working with other volunteers. Working with the site leader, you might need to:
- make sure volunteers are aware of their own responsibilities as a mandated notifier
- find ways to recruit new volunteers
- work with existing volunteers on affiliated committees
- encourage new and existing volunteers to join the council.
Volunteers play a crucial role in supporting the education and wellbeing of children and young people. Also, it's proven that by volunteering you may improve your mental and physical health.