The department values our volunteers and applies the National Standards for Volunteer Involvement to our volunteer practices.
When you volunteer with us you have the right to:
- be thanked and feel appreciated
- be in a safe working environment
- be treated fairly under equal opportunity and anti-discrimination legislation
- have your privacy protected under privacy principles
- be covered by personal liability and personal accident insurance while you are volunteering.
You will not be expected to do the work of paid staff.
Your rights also include us giving you:
- accurate information about the site you volunteer with
- an orientation to the department, the site and your duties
- a job description with agreed working hours
- a copy of the department’s volunteer policy
- approved out-of-pocket expenses
- appropriate training
- support to do your role
- feedback on how you’re doing.