On this page
The National Day of Action against Bullying and Violence (NDA) is an annual event that supports schools and preschools to work with their school communities to find practical and lasting solutions to bullying and violence. The event is held on the third Friday of March every year.
The NDA gives preschools and schools the opportunity to:
- promote bullying prevention initiatives
- raise awareness of how to prevent and respond to bullying
- showcase the bullying prevention work that happens throughout the year
- highlight steps taken to create inclusive school communities that are safe from bullying
- share how they take action and empower children and young people, staff, families and the community to be part of the solution
- send a clear message that bullying is not accepted within the school gates and beyond.
The 11th national day of action was held on Friday 19 March 2021.
Theme: take action together.
In South Australia, this meant taking a community approach to bullying prevention within the school gates and beyond.
This year more than 500 south Australian schools registered with ‘Bullying No Way!’ as a visible statement of their school’s commitment to keeping children and young people safe from bullying.
Following the success of this year’s event, the Department for Education provided funding to South Australian government schools to help to reduce bullying.
Schools were able to apply for up to $5,000 of funding support to help make improvements to their physical environments.
Protective physical environments
Protective physical environments are settings that have been designed to reduce unsafe behaviours, and increase positive behaviours.
Protective physical environments can improve children’s wellbeing. Children in school environments that have protective design features have reported:
- increased feelings of safety
- lower incidents of bullying
- lower incidents of missing school due to concerns about safety.
Schools can use the protective physical environments that reduce bullying printable A3 resource (PDF 2.1MB) to find out more about:
- incorporating key design elements
- using data to inform decisions
- effective design
Some preschools and schools choose to combine the National Day of Action with Harmony Day activities. This is how they recognise that an inclusive school culture that values diversity is an important strategy to prevent bullying.
21 March 2021 was Australia’s Harmony Day.
Engagement and Wellbeing
Email: education.engagementandwellbeing [at] sa.gov.au