A canteen is considered any food service endorsed by a school or preschool for children's consumption including outsourced services provided by a company, local bakery, deli or roadhouse.
A school canteen can model healthier food choices that are tasty, interesting and affordable. These tools can help canteen staff plan and develop healthier menus.
- Food supply checklist template
- Sample school canteen menu
- Recipe costing template
- Menu replacement template
- Healthy canteen policy example
School staff can access financial management tools and procedures on the school canteen management page on the intranet (staff login required).
Everybody involved in or supervising food handling operations must have skills and knowledge in food safety and food hygiene to a level relevant to the tasks they carry out.
The risk of food poisoning can be virtually eliminated if the food is properly handled, protected from contamination, stored correctly, and cooked or reheated to the correct temperature.
If food is sold as part of a fundraiser, you should offer healthy options. These might include:
- reduced fat sausages and wholemeal bread for a sausage sizzle
- barbecued corn, tomatoes and other veggies
- baked potatoes with cottage cheese and vegetable dressing
- pancakes or pikelets with berries
- juices and smoothies
- healthy pizzas on pita bread.
Engagement and Wellbeing – healthy eating
Phone: 8226 1931
Email: education.RightBite [at] sa.gov.au