On this page
The mountain bike championship is a team's only event for 2021. Find out more about the event and how students can enter.
To ride in the event, students (riders) must be
- enrolled at an affiliated school
- born in 2010 or earlier.
Rider age is calculated as at 31 December in the year of the event. For example, a student turning
- 15 years old in 2021 competes in the under 17 age category.
- 17 years old in 2021 competes in the under 19 category.
Friday 15 October 2021 at the O'Halloran Hill Recreation Park, Majors Road, O'Halloran Hill.
- Registration opening time is to be confirmed.
- Racing starts at 9.45am until approximately 1.45pm.
- Presentations will happen after racing finishes.
- Teams aim to complete as many laps as they can in the 4 hour time limit.
- The final lap must by completed within the time limit to be counted towards the teams result.
- Teams should aim to spread the amount of riding evenly across team members. In the under 13 category this is essential. Team managers or supervisors must monitor this.
- under 13
- under 15
- under 17
- under 19
- under 13
- under 15
- under 17
- under 19
Mixed teams can only be entered in the boys category.
Categories with less than 3 teams entered will be combined with the other age group.
- Under 13 teams must have 4 riders per team.
- Under 15, under 17 and under 19 teams can be made up of a minimum of 2 or a maximum of 4 riders.
As a guide under 15, under 17 and under 19 team sizes can be based on
- 4 person team: for less experienced or competitive riders.
- 3 person team: for riders with good fitness levels and skills.
- 2 person team: for club level riders with high levels of experience, skills and fitness
A course map with the course location will be available closer to the event. See the O'Halloran Hill Recreation Park maps for courses.
- Riders must wear an approved bike helmet during the race.
- Riders must wear suitable covered shoes.
- Safety gear is recommended and encouraged.
- Handle bar ends must be plugged for safety.
- A full functional mountain bike with with front and rear brakes and gears is required for the event.
- Riders must wear a school shirt such as PE uniform or sports shirt.
- For safety reasons riders must have suitable off-road bike handling skills.
- Bikes can be shared between team members with 1 race plate issued.
- Riders must wear their own gloves, helmets, glasses and any other equipment.
- Riders must not share drink bottles.
- E-bikes are not allowed on the course at any stage during the event unless ridden by a race official.
Extreme weather conditions
If the weather forecast is for .
- extreme high or low temperatures
- severe flooding
- fire danger
the event may be modified or cancelled. Schools will be notified as soon as possible.
$15.00 including GST per student nominated.
No payment is required on the day. A tax invoice will be sent to schools after the event.
- Catering facilities will be released closer to the event date.
- Parking locations will be shown on the course map closer to the event date.
Nominations for the 2021 event have closed. To adjust entries, email Education.SchoolSportSA [at] sa.gov.au (subject: Mountain%20bike%20changes)
Teachers and parents attending are encouraged to be roaming marshals who ride or walk the course during the race. Indicate on the nomination form parents who can help.
- Presentations will be held after the race finishes.
- Medals will be presented for first, second and third in each category.
- Results will be posted as soon as possible after the event.
Overall schools' trophy
- One point is awarded for all riders that participate.
- The top 3 in each category will receive an additional
- 10 points for first place
- 5 points for second place
- 3 points for third place
The mountain bike team's championship provides an
- opportunity to compete against other South Australian students in an unique context.
- enjoyable, life-long, movement-based learning experience in a natural setting
Students can receive recognition for taking on official's roles at this event.
Schools can contact us on the details below for certificates that list the learning outcomes from officiating at the event.
- 2020 championships results report (PDF, 341KB)
- 2020 individual results (PDF, 223KB)
- 2020 team results (PDF, 227KB)
2020 St John's Grammar School 2019 St John's Grammar School 2018 St John's Grammar School 2017 Urrbrae Agricultural High School 2016 St John's Grammar School 2015 Pembroke School 2014 Pembroke School 2013 Pembroke School 2012 Pembroke School 2011 Brighton Secondary School 2010 Pembroke School 2009 Sacred Heart College 2008 Sacred Heart College 2007 Sacred Heart College - Middle School 2006 Westminster School 2005 Westminster School 2004 Westminster School 2003 Marryatville High School 2002 Marryatville High School 2001 Marryatville High School 2000 Marryatville High School 1999 Blackwood High School
Overall school previous winners
2020 St John's Grammar School
2019 St John's Grammar School
2018 St John's Grammar School
2017 Urrbrae Agricultural High School
2016 St John's Grammar School
2015 Pembroke School
2014 Pembroke School
2013 Pembroke School
2012 Pembroke School
2011 Brighton Secondary School
2010 Pembroke School
2009 Sacred Heart College
2008 Sacred Heart College
2007 Sacred Heart College - Middle School
2006 Westminster School
2005 Westminster School
2004 Westminster School
2003 Marryatville High School
2002 Marryatville High School
2001 Marryatville High School
2000 Marryatville High School
1999 Blackwood High School
School Sport SA
Phone: 8416 5900
Email: education.schoolsportsa [at] sa.gov.au