On this page
The surfing championships are for schools who nominate teams from students in years 7 to 12. Find out more about the event and how to participate.
To compete in the championship, students must be
- enrolled at an affiliated school
- in year 7 or older
As a result of the start of term 1, 2022 plan for schools to return released on Friday 14 January we are looking at the impact on our programs and calendar and as soon as we have confirmed any changes we will update our information.
- Group 1: Tuesday 5 April
- Group 2: Monday 11 April
- Finals: Friday 17 June
Teams must arrive prior to 9:00am for a pre-contest meeting where the draw, judging responsibilities and staff duties will be given out.
Group 1 will consist of Southern and Southern Fleurieu schools.
Group 2 will consist of country excluding Southern Fleurieu and city schools.
Schools will be identified by Tuesday 15 March of their group based on an even split of nominated teams. The top 50% of teams from both group events will progress to the finals.
Schools may enter one team only per division.
Teams to consist of two surfers with the exception of girls white-water where a team consists of up to 6 girls.
- Open boys (up to 19 years of age in the year of competition)
- Open girls (up to 19 years of age in the year of competition)
- Under 16 boys (must not be turning 16 during the year of competition)
- Under 16 girls (must not be turning 16 during the year of competition)
- White water girls (in year 7 or older with any experience)
All teams will have judging commitments. Schools must supply at least 3 student judges when they are not competing. Staff from schools will also be rostered onto duties.
Surfing and water safety experience is essential for all students entering into this event. Water cover will be provided to competitors in each heat only. The safety/supervision of students not surfing in a heat rests with their supervising teacher. Students are to bring their own board and wear a wetsuit and contest rash vest for identification. Aquatic consent and medical information forms for participating students is required to be emailed to prior to the event.
Each team will be scheduled into a 15 minute heat. Winners of the heat will progress to the next round. Losing teams from the heat will have another opportunity to surf their way back into the competition.
- $22.00 including GST per team per event.
No payment is required on the day. A tax invoice will be sent to schools after the event.
Nominations have closed for 2022
Schools must ensure that
- students and their caregivers acknowledge and accept the risk involved in participating in surfing.
- appropriate caregiver consent is obtained and all consent forms and medical details are brought to the event in case an accident or medical incident occurs.
Presentation of medals and shield will be on the finals day for team winners.
Results will be posted on this page as soon as possible after the event has finished
School Sport SA
Phone: 8416 5900
Email: education.schoolsportsa [at] sa.gov.au