A 3 month review is considering the best interests of current and future students living in the Springbank Secondary College zone, exploring the impact of closing the campus and merging the zone into Unley High School. A key focus of this review includes the families of students with special needs.
Local families, educators and the broader community in the inner south of Adelaide were invited to have their say on the future secondary education needs of young people in the area from Monday 11 May to Friday 29 May 2020. Community feedback is central to this process and we are pleased with the number of submissions provided.
The review committee will continue to meet regularly to consider the submissions and will provide recommendations informed by the feedback received to the Minister for Education by the end of June 2020.
Review committee details
The following committee members have been appointed:
Ms Jan Murphy - Australian Education Union
Mayor Heather Holmes-Ross - City of Mitcham
Ms Wendy House - Principal, Springbank Secondary College
Mrs Julie Rungie - Governing Council Chairperson, Springbank Secondary College
Mr Greg Rolton - Principal, Unley High School
Mr Heinz Schwarzer - Governing Council Chairperson, Unley High School
Ms Sandy Richardson - Deputy Presiding Member
Ms Ann Prime - Education Director
Mr Rick Bennallack - Principal, Colonel Light Gardens Primary School
Ms Terry Sizer - Presiding Member
Mr Ian May - Director, Disability Policy and Programs
The State Government has initiated a review of Springbank Secondary College in Pasadena.
The school’s ongoing low enrolments are impacting its ability to offer students a broad and varied curriculum with specialist subjects and teachers.
The review will consider the educational, social and economic needs of both the community and the state as a whole. In particular it will examine the impact of closing Springbank Secondary College and rezoning the Springbank zone to Unley High School.
Experienced educator, Terry Sizer, has been appointed to chair the review committee, which will include the principal and a governing council representative from both Springbank Secondary College and Unley High School, as well as other educators and directly impacted parties.
The review will be carried out over 3 months to allow a thorough examination of the options and provide significant opportunity for feedback.
The review committee will consider the impact of the following model of schooling in the inner southern metropolitan area:
- the current Springbank zone will be added to the Unley High School zone, giving all families living in the area a new local school,
- all current mainstream students enrolled at Springbank will be able to transition to Unley High School at the end of 2020,
- for those students who do not wish to attend Unley High School, every effort will be made to secure them a place in the public school of their choice (ie at schools other than Unley), subject to the year level capacity at the requested school,
- students currently enrolled in the school’s disability units and special class will be individually case managed, to assist the student to find a school that meets their educational needs,
- Financial support will be provided by the department to cover the costs of new uniforms for all 2020 students,
- additional capital works will be provided to Unley High School to ensure sufficient capacity to accommodate a larger zone,
- all current permanent teaching and support staff will retain their industrial entitlements. The department will work with staff to find appropriate placement and maintain existing tenures. This will be determined in consultation with staff.
A key consideration is working with the families of students with special needs to consider their requirements, including understanding the feasibility of a new unit at another school.
Springbank Secondary College is also a significant community asset and the review will examine ongoing community usage and ownership options for the Basketball SA stadium and heritage listed Tower Arts Centre on the school site.
Springbank Review Committee – feedback and questions
Email: Education.SouthMetroReview [at] sa.gov.au
Post: Level 10, 31 Flinders Street, Adelaide SA 5000