On this page
The new Aboriginal education strategy is being developed through co design with our partner the South Australian Aboriginal Education and Training Consultative Council (SAAETCC). This strategy aims to support:
- improved learning outcomes for Aboriginal children and young people
- better attendance and retention rates of Aboriginal students
- training to make sure teachers and leaders are culturally responsive.
Development of the South Australian strategy will align with the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education strategy which focuses on:
- early childhood transitions
- attendance and engagement
- the Australian curriculum
- transition points (including pathways to post-school options)
To inform the development of the new strategy, an extensive phases of consultation gathered input from:
- students and young people
- parents and carers
- education staff
- the community, including government and non-government groups
Extensive consultation was undertaken from June through to August including:
- sessions for families, parents, carers and the community held across 18 metro and country South Australian locations
- sessions for staff, other government and non-government agencies, expert groups and committees were held during late July and August in both metro and some country SA locations
- an online SAAETEC developed survey and a YourSAy page and discussion board
- Community forum on the APY lands held in conjunction with the Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Education Committee (PYEC)
- a student forum for Aboriginal secondary school students
- an online survey for Aboriginal primary and secondary school students to provide input
Your input will help develop a strategy that supports lifting learning outcomes for Aboriginal children and young people to succeed from birth, in their school years and beyond into further study, employment and training.
Consultation for input into the development of the new Aboriginal education strategy is now complete. All feedback to date will be collated to inform the development of the strategy.
A draft copy of the new strategy will be made available for review soon.
Aboriginal Education directorate
Phone: 8226 3114
Email: education.aboriginalstrategy [at] sa.gov.au