Go to top of page

Become a Private Music Instructor (PMI)

Become a private music instructor

All SA Government schools must follow a recruitment process, as described in Schedule 1 - engagement of music teachers and instructors (PDF 464KB). Where a school decides to engage a private music instructor (PMI), the arrangements are negotiated between the individual Principal, PMI and parents. PMIs are encouraged to contact their school leaders to discuss their intended program.

PMI registration process

Private Music Instructors must apply through the Employable Ancillary Register (EAR) and obtain an ‘Authority to Work’ letter issued by People and Culture. This replaces the ‘Letter of Authorisation’ previously issued by Music Programs. 

Anyone seeking engagement as a PMI must apply for an authority to work letter.

To receive an authority to work letter you must have a:

  • Working with children check (WWCC) – DHS Screening will provide you with a unique number once you are screened. A current teacher registration or DHS Child-related employment screening is your WWCC until they expire. However, you will need to apply for the new WWCC before they expire. Current, valid child-related employment screening checks done by DHS/DCSI will be recognised as a WWCC until they expire.
  • Responding to Abuse and Neglect in Education and Care (RAN-EC) certificate – you need to attach this to the online application. You must provide evidence of your full day (7 hour) training and update following, with no gaps.

For assistance with completing the online application, read the EAR Application Guide for PMIs.  

Private music instructors must provide each school with a copy of their current:

  • authority to work letter
  • WWCC unique number provided by DHS Screening
  • RAN-EC certificate.

The authority to work letter requires renewal every year.

Get help with
EAR applications

People and Culture Operations

Phone: 8226 1356
Emaileducation.hr [at] sa.gov.au