Ancillary or support staff roles in South Australian government schools and preschools include:
- Aboriginal community education officer (ACEO)
- school services officer (SSO)
- early childhood worker (ECW)
- government services employees (GSE)
See ancillary major functions (PDF 573KB) for more information.
To undertake an ancillary or support role, you must:
- have a current register interest for ancillary work online application
- be an Australian resident either with Australian birth certificate, residency permit or current work visa
- have completed full day Responding to Risks of Harm, Abuse and Neglect – education and care training and maintained training by holding a current approved full day or update Responding to Abuse and Neglect training certificate, see Keeping your RRHAN-EC current – for staff
- hold a current general Department of Human Services (DHS) working with children check (WWCC), a volunteer WWCC is not valid for paid employment
- obtain an authority to work letter
- meet the COVID-19 vaccination requirements for education and early childhood settings.
See preparing your Edujobs online application to avoid delays in your application for employment.
Early childhood certification
In addition to the requirements above, the department requires all early childhood workers (ECW) and school support officers (SSO) who are 'primary contact staff' within early childhood programs to have an approved early childhood qualification.
Primary contact staff are the staff employed to maintain the student staff ratios.
The minimum approved qualifications include a Certificate III in Children's Services or Education Support, or the employee must be actively working towards an approved qualification.
All primary contact ECWs and SSOs in department preschool occasional care or rural care programs must have a minimum qualification of a Diploma in Children's Services, Education and Care.
Further information about approved qualifications is available on the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) website.
Optional first aid training
Although first aid training is not a requirement for ancillary employment, if you are looking for work as an early childhood worker or school services officer in a school based preschool program you should consider getting the 'provide first aid in an education and care setting (HLTAID012)' certification. Alternatively, you could combine the 'provide first aid HLTAID011' with approved anaphylaxis and asthma certification.
Approved RTOs can be searched by entering the required unit of competency code at the Australian Government website.
Not having this training may limit employment opportunities.
Swimming and aquatics instructors
Swimming or aquatics instructors follow a different process. See working in swimming and aquatics for further information.
You can apply for specific ancillary and support vacancies or register your availability for work on Edujobs.
You can be recommended for a position, but will not be cleared to take up that position until you have met and verified all employment requirements.
Non-permanent staff must:
- maintain a current completed online registration for employment on EduJobs
- update minimum requirements as expiry dates are reached
- submit a new application each year.
People and Culture
Phone: 8226 1356
Email: education.hr [at] sa.gov.au